Rubber pot covers?

Started by Taylor, May 05, 2010, 06:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiwoof

Quote from: .Mike on May 07, 2010, 04:10:00 PM
Quote from: zombiwoof on May 07, 2010, 03:53:17 PM
Found it at Banzai:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Dust-Seal-Cover.html

That made me think of the clear plastic tubes used to store documents and such. I figured there has to be a company that sells just the endcaps. A search turns up this: http://www.stockcap.com/store/Product/SkuInfo.aspx?id=1092

It looks like it would possibly fit 16mm pots, and costs about a dime apiece if you buy 500. Taylor, maybe you should take a look, measure your pots, and order a few samples?

Another thought is something like Plasti Dip.

Mike

Cool link, I think these should fit the 24mm pots:

http://www.stockcap.com/store/Product/SkuInfo.aspx?id=989

They have them in red and black.  I don't know if I'd want to buy 1000 or them, though ($38)

Al.

Taylor

Quote from: Steve Mavronis on May 07, 2010, 04:30:22 PM
The inside length is 1/2" and the body of 16mm pots are not that thick.

You're right, I may have to clip a little length off, but so far this seems best to me.

However, I know that something exists specifically for this purpose - just wish I could remember where I saw it.

zombiwoof

I just requested a sample of the black caps that I think will fit a 24mm pot, I'm not sure if they are vinyl or rubber, but I asked for a sample of each if they are available.  I think the picture shows vinyl, but who knows?

I'll report back if I get them.

Al

Paul Marossy

zombiwoof

I knew I saw those 24mm pot covers somewhere, they have them at AES (tubesandmore.com) for $.95 each.  Part number is R-V-COVER .  I can't find any way to link to specific pages from their site, just go there and search for that part number.

Al

YouAre

Where does one get 5/8inch Heat shrink anyway? Couldn't find any at small bear. Does anyone have a mouser part number so I can avoid the crazy upcharge from Rat Shack/Home Depot?

slacker

SpencerPedals

Quote from: theehman on May 07, 2010, 03:46:22 PM
You could also use a square of double-sided foam tape.  Just leave the protective backing in place so the board doesn't stick to it.

Exactly what I did for my Aqua Puss build.  It works perfectly.

Steve Mavronis

What other material is a good electrical insulator? On my build I noticed the PCB angled mount 16mm pots come very close to touching the solder points when I was about to solder them on so I need something. I was at Home Depot today looking around. At first I found come stick-on cork pads about the right size. But then I thought they might absorb moisture and be a bad choice! The only other stick-on type thing they had that was close was little plastic velcro disks. There would probably be a risk of static electricity with plastic too. Is plain cardboard static free? I found some 5/8" outer diameter rubber washers that I was thinking of gluing on with contact cement. Then I was looking for electrical tape thicker than the normal 7 mil (0.007") rolls. I tought that I lucked out finding some 30 mill (0.030") thick rubber splicing tape. I didn't realize it isn't sticky like regular tape. Instead it is self-fusing to layers of itself. I could probably still cut out 5/8" circles and use contact cement on it but the splicing tape smells pretty bad from whatever makes it self-fusing and worried it might not glue on propery or harm something? I probably should have gotten the rubber washers that I left behind. But I do have electrical tape so maybe I can double it up to 14 mils (0.014") thickness so the sharp solder points don't cut through as easily and use that.

[EDIT] I just tried cutting out a disk of rubber from that 3M Tremflex 2155 Rubber Splicing Tape by tracing with an exacto-knife around a 3/8" jack washer as a template. It cut easy and is a perfect fit on the bottom of a 16mm pot. Hopefully it reacts okay to contact cement between the tape and the pot. What I like about it is that being 30 mil thick is like 4-1/3 layers of electrical tape. It is rated up to 600V so it should be good for low voltage circuits I think. A 3/4" by 22 foot roll costs $2.40 if anyone is interested in trying this too.

That white covering is just for separation between the tape layers in the roll and peels off.
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

davent

I'm trying these bumper pads, one stuck on the middle of the pots back. http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=40536&cat=3,40993,41285

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

MmmPedals

I just bought pot from tayda and they came with plastic covers!

Taylor

Cool, I wish they had the right angle Alphas, though, and with solid shafts ideally. Still, these guys sell Alpha pots cheaper than Futurlec even.

CynicalMan

I ordered a pot from this ebay seller, and they came looking like this:

The cover has alpha stamped on it. I think these might be a custom order option. Maybe something for the forum store?

Steve Mavronis

Quote from: Taylor on May 22, 2010, 10:53:18 PM
Cool, I wish they had the right angle Alphas, though, and with solid shafts ideally. Still, these guys sell Alpha pots cheaper than Futurlec even.

Smallbear does...

Just superglue on that 0.030" thick splicing tape I mentioned for rubber insulation. I used a jack washer to cut around it with an exacto knife for a perfect circle about the right size for 16mm pots. I was worried about using superglue all at once in case they'd stick off-center. So what I did was place the rubber circle without gluing, to position it first. Then fold over half the rubber circle and put some superglue on the exposed half of the metal pot surface and fold it back down over the glue and press. Then fold over the remaining half and repeat. Perfect positioning!  
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

Taylor

Right, Small Bear's the only place that has them, and they've been out of stock for months on the common values.

ashcat_lt

A couple somebodys have mentioned Plasti-Dip.  The poor man's version is a fat layer or two of acrylic paint.

ibodog

Most craft stores have 8x10 sheets of sticky back foam that's about the same thickness as 2 sheets of kid's construction paper.  Available in a wide array of colors!  :icon_lol:  Then you just need a way to cut 16mm circles out of it.

Steve Mavronis

Use a jack washer as a cutting template like I suggested above? Personally I don't like foam because over time it may break down into goo and sticks to everything.

ibodog

Hmmm... this is the foam stuff they have for kid's art projects.  Have you seen this break down?  I haven't so far.

Steve Mavronis

Oh, I was thinking of the black foam like they had in the old MXR Distortion+ to insulate the PCB from the metal lid. That stuff is nasty.