Which wiring diagram to use?

Started by lazerphea, May 08, 2010, 04:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazerphea

I'm in the process of wiring my first pedal (an MXR D+)  with all the bells and whistles: 3PDT, led, AC adapter, etc.
I was searching for some reference about wiring all this stuff, and I found different diagrams; now the problem is: which one should I use?
The first is this picture, from the board:

The second is this one from the great Beavis Audio website:

And the last is this one which honestly can't remember the source:

All of them are different, so: may I chose the one I prefer because they are all equivalent, or is there something I should take into account in the choice?

Thanks everyone! :)

BoxOfSnoo

The first two are functionally identical, one "column" of lugs got swapped for another one, that's all.

I prefer the second one, it's neater to me.  I don't really know the advantage of the last one, especially since a company like Diamond doesn't even do it (check their gut shots on their web site)
My Dropbox referral link - bonus 250MB of space for both of us if you use it

petemoore

3 switches, isolated. Each as 1 pole, two throws. All 3 are simultaneously thrown.
  The third bypass 3pdt switch assigns the lugs in a way that grounds one of the signal paths [usually input] when in bypass mode. This may eliminate 'wild' circuits from bleeding signal or noise across to the signal wires.
  It uses a jumper.
  It's a little harder to follow because the jumper and 2 poles and 2 throws are involved with the one path...makes it harder to describe than it is to 'discover'.
  If you imagine all throws on one side connected to all poles, and follow the ''map'' for one of the switches 2 modes [left or right, in this case are assigned to bypass/effect], it becomes either obvious or confusing how the connections made and broken, are routed.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

lazerphea

Thanks Jonathan and Pete!
I think that I'll stick with the Beavis one because it's simpler, then! :)
Just a last, surely dumb question: in the figure, there are two grounds on the ciurcit board, one connected to the output jack (on the right), and one connected to the input jack and to the 3PDT switch; is it the same if I use just one ground connecting the input and output jacks and the 3PDT?

petemoore

1 make sure all grounds are common, check this with the beeping DMM.
2 There are preferences, #1 precedes all of them, these circuits draw little current [generalizing here], so the grounds tend to stay right at "ground = 0.0v" [if grounded through typical short wires]. As long as the grounds are connected, reliability and then neatness is what I'd go for as a second thumb-note.
3 Take a look at amps, and star grounding to get an idea what might matter.
Every ground soldered may offer a reliability advantage.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

lazerphea

Thanks again, Pete!
Hopefully tomorrow I'll post the populated box! :)

davent

Hello,
I use figure b from this page (but i swap columns depending on pedal layout), http://www.dazatronyx.com/support/what-is-true-bypass/ , which like your third option grounds the effect input when bypassed. This one also eliminates one switch contact when bypassing the effect (for what it's worth).

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

roseblood11

Search the "offboard wiring" file on tonepad.com, page 5...

zombiwoof

The diagrams that ground the input of the board in bypass are supposed to help avoid popping when you hit the switch.  It's supposed to make it unnecessary to use extra resistors for that purpose.  GEO used to show the DPDT version of that in the different wiring diagrams (he called it the "optional DPDT wiring", as I recall), but for some reason he removed it when he added the millenium bypass diagram.

Al

jkokura

I use number one the most. But all of them work just fine.

Jacob

lazerphea

Guys, thanks everyone!
I wired the pedal and works great!!!
I finally used the schema from tonepad suggested by roseblood11; it was tricky but worked like a charm!

I posted some pictures in the pictures thread.

Without your help and this forum I'd never been able to complete this! :)