Tonebender noise and grounding tips

Started by skrunk, May 10, 2010, 11:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skrunk

I've just finished populating a tonebender build with an OC75 set from smallbear.
It's all biased and sounds pretty good, but just want to check about grounding before I box it up., to keep noise to a minimum.

I'm thinking of using this pnp wiring diagram from GGG:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_tb_dcj_pnp_gi.gif

Should I take a separate wire from the pos. ground rail (it's on vero) for each of the input jack, output jack, battery terminal etc or should I
chain the grounds from say the input sleeve, like a 'star chain' configuration? (or is this the same thing?)
I'm using an LED but no DC jack and a 1590BB.
Grounding often confuses me and I sometimes feel I'm not using the best method.

Any other tips on noise reduction? Would using shielded cable for the input/output make much difference?
I couldn't resist using carbon comp resistors for this build, probably shouldn't have in hindsight.

Also, I'm thinking of putting a shottky diode in series from the '-' of the battery terminal to the effect with the bar end at the battery.
A good idea?
Thanks.

GibsonGM

LOL, carbon comps are VERY noisy...the other changes will probably be swamped by them!
OTOH, shielded cable on the input is always good.
Star grounding is good, too - can't hurt, and keep it in my for the next build. I bring my battery ground (usually "-", but not in your case) to 1 part of the switching input jack, and the board, LED and output jack ground to the other side of the input jack. Inserting a plug switches it all "on"...and it is very much like star grounding. 

I have no opinion on the Schottky diode...what's the purpose?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...