carl martin octaswitch

Started by trixdropd, May 07, 2010, 07:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trixdropd

Anyone know how these are built? I'd love to make one for myself.

Processaurus

trixdropd

Quote from: Processaurus on May 08, 2010, 02:00:47 AM
Those are neat!  Gabriel Tudoran posted a work-alike a while ago:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=82221.0

Thank you!! That thing looks over my head a bit but i will study it over and over again till i figure out the why of how it works.

R.G.

Pretty amazing!

It took someone ten years to take this: http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/fxswitchr/fxswitchr.htm
And turn it into a commercial product.  :icon_biggrin:

I can post pictures of my first proto, complete with holes for the dip switches to poke through, if you're interested.

By the way, if the makers were smart, they used a socket for the dip switches; in fact a machined pin socket that takes a machined-pin socket that takes the DIP switches. That way, you can replace the DIP switches (which are not intended for many switching cycles) many times per intermediate socket, and also replace the intermediate socket many times before the base socket wears out from insertions so you get a good long life.

My posts describing this should be in the archives here.

Why didn't I do one of these? Those DIP switches are perfect funnels for sweat and beer into the innards...  :icon_lol:

The slicker way to do this is ... well, keep looking for commercial products.  :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

trixdropd

Quote from: R.G. on May 09, 2010, 01:38:58 PM
Pretty amazing!

It took someone ten years to take this: http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/fxswitchr/fxswitchr.htm
And turn it into a commercial product.  :icon_biggrin:

I can post pictures of my first proto, complete with holes for the dip switches to poke through, if you're interested.

By the way, if the makers were smart, they used a socket for the dip switches; in fact a machined pin socket that takes a machined-pin socket that takes the DIP switches. That way, you can replace the DIP switches (which are not intended for many switching cycles) many times per intermediate socket, and also replace the intermediate socket many times before the base socket wears out from insertions so you get a good long life.

My posts describing this should be in the archives here.

Why didn't I do one of these? Those DIP switches are perfect funnels for sweat and beer into the innards...  :icon_lol:

The slicker way to do this is ... well, keep looking for commercial products.  :icon_lol:
RG, I've looked at your article on geofex countless times. Eventually I get swamped by so much info over my head. Each time i get a little further with understanding what's going on. I'd love to see any pics you have of what you built.
I truly thank you RG for the knowledge you've given many folks like me. Most of what i've learned has come from you in one way or another. Thanks a million!! Knowledge is power!

trixdropd

Bump, I'd still love to see what you did on yours RG... Thanks!!