Polished Enclosures Good?

Started by Steve Mavronis, May 13, 2010, 11:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Mavronis

This is not an advertisement. In an effort to cut out having to order my parts from several difference places I'm looking at these B size boxes (search stock number 0303 for them) at Small Bear Electronics. They are approximately the same size as Hammond 1590B enclosures and MXR pedals. From a drawing I was sent it appears the edges may have a bit more of a MXR-like bevel than the Hammond boxes do, but the edges don't look as rounded in the photo below unless that's just a generic stock photo for a polished box.

Box - Taiwanese 'B' Size - Made for Small Bear under license from ZVex. 6-32 screws at the corners. Outside dimensions 4.39" x 2.36" x 1.03" Deep (it's actually 1.22" high including the lid).

Taiwanese "B" Size - Polished (0303C)

Now I can't decide if I should get a painted one or bare aluminum and leave it unpainted. But I do really like this polished one a lot for myself but I imagine it would reflect a lot of light in a stage environment? I just play in my house for fun but if I ever wanted to sell any pedal done in a polished box would that be bad for professional stage players?
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

ppatchmods

i've used these cases many times and they are grade "A" quality! better than other supplier's polished cases.
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

oliphaunt

I am a full time musician and play under most conceivable lighting conditions.  There is nothing wrong with or distracting about a polished enclosure in my opinion.  If it looks good to you try one out.

Steve Mavronis

I think your polished pedal looks sharp and futuristic! I have my twin 1590B pedals in black powder coat and bare aluminum but a polished box would look nice under my aluminum etched faceplate and I wouldn't have to paint anything:

Or if I moved up to a larger 125B sized box I could merge it with my other "Strat Jack" idea!

Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

ppatchmods

BoxOfSnoo

I tried hand-polishing one of my own... too much work!  Of course I didn't have proper tools and equipment for it, but if you want to have a polished finish it's worth ordering it...
My Dropbox referral link - bonus 250MB of space for both of us if you use it

Gordo

Quote from: ppatchmods on May 13, 2010, 11:51:55 AM
i've used these cases many times and they are grade "A" quality! better than other supplier's polished cases.

+1

Closest I've come to crying in years was being too lazy to chuck a drill bit in the drill press and "walking" a bit in a battery drill across the face of one of these enclosures.
Bust the busters
Screw the feeders
Make the healers feel the way I feel...

Mark Hammer

The best thing about polished boxes is that the paint doesn't chip.

Vince_b

QuoteThe best thing about polished boxes is that the paint doesn't chip
At first this comment made me laugh, but when I think about it, it can be a real advantage for someone that is hard on is stompboxes.

But I also got a question about polished enclosures. Can it be clear coated (for protecting decals) or the clear coat won't be able to stick on the surface of the box? Or maybe it can work but it will looks ugly. Does someone have tried it before?

kungpow79

Quote from: Vince_b on May 13, 2010, 04:21:29 PM
But I also got a question about polished enclosures. Can it be clear coated (for protecting decals) or the clear coat won't be able to stick on the surface of the box? Or maybe it can work but it will looks ugly. Does someone have tried it before?

I've tried this.  The cc sticks, but I think it makes it a bit hazy.  It reduces the shine.  I used a clear enamel.  Its okay, but there's probably something better.

mfergel

I love the look of polished aluminum but the upkeep is a pain.  You have to keep polishing it out/waxing it as the aluminum oxidizes over time.  I finally gave up and clear coat mine.  Yeah, it loses a little bit of the look but it's a whole lot less work.

Other options are chome powder coating or alclad paint (although that paint really isn't tough enough for the abuse you'll give a pedal).

Steve Mavronis

That's a shame because it's so beautiful. Maybe it would be better to go with a painted version after all. I like the flat matt look of a powder coat finish but maybe Small Bear's gloss black finish on this "B" sized box might not be too bad with my pedal design.

oliphaunt

Hm, I've had those SB polished enclosures for at least 6 months, maybe more and have seen no obvious sign of tarnishing or other discoloration.  Granted, I live in a dry climate.  I think that some natural weathering might actually look nice though.

ppatchmods

it really depends on how much you handle them and if you have sweat or oils on your hands.

Steve Mavronis

With these Zvex licensed polished boxes I was wondering if the top surface is flat up to the beveled edges or bowed a little bit from polishing? I have a thin aluminum etched cover panel that goes close to the edges of a Hammond 1590B box. I don't want to have problems with my panel not sticking all the way down at the edges if you see what I mean. I know to some it's a waste to cover the pretty polished top but at least the polished sides might look better than bear metal or painted metal.

dschwartz

i´ve been experimenting with chrome spray paint..the initial finish is amazing, almost mirror-like, but the darn pain is so delicate that it gets dull only by touching it...

i tried spraying some poly over it but iit destroyed the finish..now i have a box chrome painted that´s been sitting for 3 days and i don´t want to touch it yet.....

any experiences to share about chrome paints?
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

deadastronaut

Quote from: dschwartz on June 23, 2010, 12:33:23 PM
i´ve been experimenting with chrome spray paint..the initial finish is amazing, almost mirror-like, but the darn pain is so delicate that it gets dull only by touching it...

i tried spraying some poly over it but iit destroyed the finish..now i have a box chrome painted that´s been sitting for 3 days and i don´t want to touch it yet.....

any experiences to share about chrome paints?

yeah tried that chrome stuff...like you say very touchy....and dulls instantly....never bothered since....

should try real chrome that'd be cool....expensive though i bet.....
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

dschwartz

i thought it was me not using the paint correctly...
is hard to believe that chrome paint is so lame, i suppose there has to be a way to make it work at least decently...
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

m-theory

Quoteany experiences to share about chrome paints?
It doesn't really look like chrome, obviously, but it is a unique look.  If you use a 2 part epoxy clear like envirotex, it'll be protected and look great.  I've used it, but found the anodized colors from duplicolor to be more attractive, frankly.