12AY7 tube in a Real McTube?

Started by studiostud, May 14, 2010, 11:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studiostud

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question.  I bought a 12AY7 tube as a replacement for what I thought was a burned out tube in a vocal microphone, but it turned out to be a different problem.  I was wondering if I would be able to use that in a Real McTube build?

Jeff
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

MikeH

I believe so, but with less gain.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

studiostud

OK.  sweet.  is there a component value I could change on the PCB to give it more gain?  Or maybe add some sort of clean boost stage to drive the tube harder?
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

MikeH

Not sure- I know in the original BK Tube Driver you could substitute different 12A_7 tubes to get varying amounts of gain.  12AX7 has the highest gain, and delivered the most distortion, other tubes gave it more of an OD feel. 

Of course the real McTube isn't the same thing, but a 12AY7 definitely has less gain than a 12AX7.

An yes, putting a boost in front of it will surely make it dirtier.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

petemoore

Sometimes less gain [12au instead of ax7] keeps the tube more 'inside' the power supply.
  What's the tube and what's the supply voltage?...or stick in a 12a_7 and see what it sounds like...pin for pin compatible but different.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

studiostud

yeah.  I still need to finishing piecing it together.  I have the signal and power PCBs all put together, just need to do the offboard wiring and mount the tube socket and transformers.  It's about 3rd in line of a couple projects I have going but I saw the still-packaged tube sitting on my desk so I thought I'd ask about it will it was still in my memory.  I'll let you know results when I can get to it!

Jeff