HOW TO SCREW THOSE TUBE SOCKETS?!

Started by Renegadrian, May 17, 2010, 08:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

It seems I have a problem!!! I have those standard 9 pin tube sockets, like this one - I thought I could buy the screws to hold it easily. Guess what, can't find them anywhere!!! they should be 2mm, you can find a lot of screws from 3mm up...
Where can I find those screws to hold those sockets to the enclosure!?
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Ice-9

You could try a model shop, radio controlled model shops usually do packets of small screws, washers and nuts etc.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Zapp Brannigan

Very strange problem, I dare say. Try to make the holes bigger with....... a drill! :icon_biggrin: Or use smaller screws, as it is said above.

Renegadrian

Quote from: Zapp Brannigan on May 17, 2010, 09:24:58 AM
use smaller screws, as it is said above.

Yeah that's what I'm after but cannot find the right screws...

earthtonesaudio

You could probably buy the proper-sized hardware (which might be #3 or #2 screws, not sure what size that is in metric), but it might be cheaper in the long run to buy a tapered reamer and just enlarge the holes to fit whatever hardware you commonly use.  There's plenty of extra metal there, but take care not to go too fast or the reamer can "bite" into the metal and tear it.

Thomeeque

Quote from: Renegadrian on May 17, 2010, 08:56:15 AM
It seems I have a problem!!! I have those standard 9 pin tube sockets, like this one - I thought I could buy the screws to hold it easily. Guess what, can't find them anywhere!!! they should be 2mm, you can find a lot of screws from 3mm up...
Where can I find those screws to hold those sockets to the enclosure!?

they should be 2mm - I don't think it's a true - I use M3 screws for these sockets, you just have to search for the screws with smaller (narrower) head.. T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

PRR

The 9-pin socket should take a #4 screw with a small head. That's been true since the 7-pin came out in the 1940s.

This works out to 2.85mm. The #4 fit was always loose, I would think a 3mm screw would go in the hole.

> standard 9 pin tube sockets, like this one

Unfortunately the guys who make sockets don't use them. Often the threads fit but the head butts the side of the socket. When electronic parts were sold everywhere, it was easy to find small-head screws.

And looking at your picture, that socket does not have the dent next for the screw-head. There should be a good semi-circle, about a mm clearance all around the hole.

Model-shop for small screws.

Get the screw in crooked then tighten carefully to indent the shell for the screw head.
  • SUPPORTER

The Tone God

Most of the time I used a #4 but sometimes I can use a #6 depending on the head style.

Andrew

Renegadrian

Quote from: PRR on May 17, 2010, 05:04:07 PM
standard 9 pin tube sockets, like this one

Unfortunately the guys who make sockets don't use them. Often the threads fit but the head butts the side of the socket. When electronic parts were sold everywhere, it was easy to find small-head screws.

And looking at your picture, that socket does not have the dent next for the screw-head. There should be a good semi-circle, about a mm clearance all around the hole.

Yeah, my sockets have that little space, a little semi-circle...They look like the ones of my second link below.

See, I'd really love to screw those MFs down with the right screw and bolt, like this or this

THX for all your replies!

PRR

> the right screw and bolt

The cheap slotted panhead in the picture is getting hard to find, except by stripping old US tube gear or raiding old junk-boxes.

Not an endorsement, just saying:

Hoffman has 4/40 x 1/4" or 3/8" Phillips screws and KEPS nuts. I have used them on recent-production 9-pin sockets (also from Hoffman) and everything fit fine and looked great. He will ship outside the US. He has no minimum order. In the US he charges actual shipping and ships quick, but Customs Forms are a pain so he will add a few bucks to ship to Rome(?) and it won't be so quick.

But you should be able to find tube-socket screws locally. A hardware store with small sizes, or a local tube-amp supplier.
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

Allen head (hexagonal socket) screws should be available in most places and they have the advantage that you do not need any extra clearance for the screwdriver which in this case happens to be a hex key.  And they do look cool.  You can get ball-end allen screwdrivers for cases where you have to come in at an angle.

mikemaddux

Make them work overtime without any extra pay  :P :P :P ;D :D
Completed Builds: A lot...

The Tone God

There is a reason slot head screws are going bye bye. Go with atleast Phillips heads or Robertson and make life easier/safer for you and your pedal finishes.

You can find machine screws at most hardware stores. If not Digikey carries both slot(if you are still inclined to use these) and Phillips head machine screws, nuts and washers in stainless and plated finishes. You get 100 screws for around a few bucks.

Andrew