Op-Amp FUZZ ?

Started by JEPorter, May 18, 2010, 02:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkbass

this "max node voltage" differs between brands but 12, 15 or 22 v is verry common, but at school we have some huge cooling rib equiped 76v max node voltage 741's for 4 euro. they have 5 thru hole pins and look verry odd  :icon_frown:

Brisance

MXR distortion +, just add more gain.

ashcat_lt

The original fuzzes are basically an LPF into a whole lot of distortion.  Really, that's the difference between fuzz and distortion.  Even a Rat (essentially a Dist + with more gain. ;) ) gets a pretty good fuzz sound if you roll back the T pot on your guitar.

sepulchre

I know this is 5 years old but I just saw and had to reply.

I was building 741 fuzz boxes 48 years ago. (OMG!! Has it really been that long?!!) I saw a circuit in Popular Mechanics that was for something else, don't recall what,
but the idea was that any analog signal going in came out square wherever it crossed 0v: going positive - on, negative - off. I built it and tried my 62 Melody Maker through it and voila! Fuzz!
It was Very dirty and nasty, especially when a note was left to fade out. But playing with it I gained a marginal degree of control and subsequently used it on a number of songs. I may try building another one with some tone filtering added just to see what it might do.
Incidentally, it would run just fine on a nearly dead 9v battery and with a fresh one it had a ton of boost. I put a 500k audio pot on the output side to bring it in line and, of course, a DC blocking cap.

If anybody's interested in trying it the circuit is very simple and you can probably figure it out. Like the offering from Punkbass it has no feedback resistors or diodes.

Ken
Activax Amplification
Activax Amplification