Tight low end on a Dr. Boogie.

Started by paulyy, May 28, 2010, 08:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulyy

Just built this using gaussmarkov layout. Very happy with overall sound it puts out but is there any way I can tighten up the low end. I will note that some caps are not the right value from stock. Thinking maybe three caps at best. Did my best to find the right values and the gain pot is a 500K. I also used a 2K for the mid pot. Ill post pics later. :)

Caferacernoc

The easiest way would be to lower the value of the 1st input cap until the flub goes away. You can make it pretty thin there with this design because the tonestack is after the distortion. You can add the bass back after the gain stages so the bass can be loud but it won't be as distorted for the tight chug you are looking for.

paulyy

The input cap would be a good start. Didnt even think about that but where would I add more bass. You said after the gain stage. Where would that be. Thanks.

Brymus

Use the search feature this has been addressed several times already.
I posted my tweaks in a couple of threads.
DSwartz has several as well,and then there is the "Ultimate Boogie Thread" with links to several remedies.
Sorry if I had more time I would dig the threads up for you,or check my Dr B pedal for what I did.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Caferacernoc

Quote from: paulyy on May 28, 2010, 05:43:27 PM
The input cap would be a good start. Didnt even think about that but where would I add more bass. You said after the gain stage. Where would that be. Thanks.

The Boogie has a tone stack after the gain stages right? You add the bass back with the bass knob. So the idea is you cut the bass before the distortion stages by making the input cap smaller, the gain stages will now have more emphasis on the upper mids and treble but the bass won't be as flabby, then turn the bass back up with the tonestack, which is after the distortion, so it will be tighter and cleaner. The end result is the same tonal balance but the DISTORTION balance is on rich upper frequency harmonics while the bass is cleaner and has that modern punch.

paulyy

Quote from: Caferacernoc on May 28, 2010, 07:48:40 PM
Quote from: paulyy on May 28, 2010, 05:43:27 PM

The Boogie has a tone stack after the gain stages right? You add the bass back with the bass knob. So the idea is you cut the bass before the distortion stages by making the input cap smaller, the gain stages will now have more emphasis on the upper mids and treble but the bass won't be as flabby, then turn the bass back up with the tonestack, which is after the distortion, so it will be tighter and cleaner. The end result is the same tonal balance but the DISTORTION balance is on rich upper frequency harmonics while the bass is cleaner and has that modern punch.
I got it to sound better but havent got to try this yet. Thanks for the help.