Broken Whammy - where to start?

Started by yeeshkul, May 28, 2010, 12:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deepend

Hello, I've had two original WH1 pedals for the past 15 years and I've had them repaired at least four times.  They always had the same problem.  The damn encoder goes out of wack and it just needs a new one.  I had them repaired twice by Digitech and twice by a repair service in California.  The last two times I was turned down by Digitech and told that they only repair the newer whammys, (way to back up your product).  Hardly anyone wants to work on the damn thing and it's as if any insight is shrouded in mystery and kept ultra secret in the same vault where they keep the names of the real men who shot JFK from the grassy knoll.   Hell, one time I even got in contact with Tom Morello's guitar tech and he told me that Tom has six whammys but that Digitech does repairs for him because he's endorsed.  Another time I contacted IVL technologies and they just sent me schematics.  What I can never find on the internet is a clear and definitive replacement encoder for the WH1.  If anyone has any info please share it.  So far this is the closest thing I could find http://www.fullcompass.com/product/435825.html it is a 16 step encoder for line 6 pedals.  I am going to try and wire it up to my busted whammy although the size of the shaft is a little bigger so I will need to adapt it a little.

thelonious

Sounds like if you find one that works, you need to stockpile them and become the Whammy repair guru! (The Whamuru?)

tunezi

i'm looking for a copy of the WH1 schematic, the link in the thread is broken. thanks!