frequencycentral "OBSESSION" Guitar Amplifier

Started by frequencycentral, May 28, 2010, 03:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

My new amp. Single ended, 12AX7 / 12AU7. Internal MAX1771 SMPS generating 240 volts from a 12 volt DC power pack. My best amp design so far I feel.........

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Scruffie

That is definitiley your best work so far, that looks incredible! Even down to the layout and fitting two full sized tubes in a 1590B Amp.

I tip my hat to you good sir  ;)

azrael

Whoa! That looks freaking good! I love those tube guards, where did you get them?

Will you be selling this? :D

I wish there was something covering the tops of those tubes, though...
Does it just turn on when you plug in the power?

sundgist

8bitapocalypse

arma61

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

phector2004

sound clips?

your minature amps are always fun to look at  :)

JKowalski

Just out of curiosity, what kind of solder do you use? It comes out very clean and mirror-shiny... no flux residue... Or is that the result of after-solder cleaning?

Slade

Incredible piece of work!
Thanks for those beautiful/nasty/perfect pics.

richon

EXCELENTE !!!!!

wow...  this is just a perfect match of size/clean build and amps desing

RICK, go on and do some DEMOS!!
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

rousejeremy

Rick, time yourself next time you begin soldering, I'd like to know how long it takes you to do THAT...... :o
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

JFX09

Cyborg Perf Boy from Outerspace strikres again !!

Luverly !
Happiness is a effin' hot soldering iron

knealebrown

''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

frequencycentral

Thank you for your kind comments guys!

Quote from: azrael on May 28, 2010, 04:15:41 PM
Whoa! That looks freaking good! I love those tube guards, where did you get them?

Will you be selling this? :D

I wish there was something covering the tops of those tubes, though...
Does it just turn on when you plug in the power?

The tube guards are from Banzai, they are modular, so it's possible to add an extra level to cover the top of the tube too. There just isn't any room for an on/off switch, but I figured it's no loss as the power pack can be turned off at the wall. I did consider using a stereo socket so you could just unplug the guitar to switch the amp off - do you guys think that's a plan?

Yes, I'm planning to offer these for sale soon.

Quote from: JKowalski on May 28, 2010, 05:49:40 PM
Just out of curiosity, what kind of solder do you use? It comes out very clean and mirror-shiny... no flux residue... Or is that the result of after-solder cleaning?

The solder I use is 99.3% tin and 0.7% copper. I don't do any after-solder cleaning, that how it comes.

Quote from: rousejeremy on May 28, 2010, 07:31:54 PM
Rick, time yourself next time you begin soldering, I'd like to know how long it takes you to do THAT...... :o

Hahaha - I can probably perf a circuit in less time than it takes to etch, drill and populate a PCB.  :D

Demos will have to wait until I get access to my mic.........
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Scruffie

QuoteThere just isn't any room for an on/off switch, but I figured it's no loss as the power pack can be turned off at the wall. I did consider using a stereo socket so you could just unplug the guitar to switch the amp off - do you guys think that's a plan?
Just an idea here but you know those volume pots you can get on computer speakers where you turn it and it has a built in rotary switch that turns on the speaker before controlling the volume... I wonder if one of those could be found that would fit.

A bit like this I think, but smaller - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2208

knealebrown

how many Db can this thing kick out rick? is it giggable as back line in your average pub when mic'd up through a P.A?
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

Toney

markeebee

CLICK! CLICK! CLICK!

That's the sound of Rick ratcheting the bar ever upwards. Phenomenal work.

240V? DC? On that tiny board?

SKWEEK!

markeebee

Rick, I was just thinking, how does it perform hum-wise? I'm guessing the heaters run direct from the dc input, is that noisy? Also I guess that the heater feeds are short enough to not be to susceptible to RF, and are probably fairly well shielded by the chassis, but can you pick up any chopping noise from the switcher?

Sorry, not wishing to be a pooper, i'm just in awe.

Also, where did you hide the spring reverb?

Hides-His-Eyes

You need to start marketing these better: they're absolutely beautiful and people pay absolutely silly money for things like a zvex nano.