question: how to built a random octave fx

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, May 31, 2010, 02:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUZZZZzzzz

hi guys!

i was thinking about the idea of building a random octave fx. so, random drops and peaks while playing... has anyone done this before?
i want to built it as a xtra function in a build.

thanks!
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

Top Top

Do you want the octave to jump around at random? OR The octave to come in and out at random?

Both could be done with something like Tim Escobedo's PWM as a basis, and then some other CMOS dividers/counters/etc... for the octave and weirdness.

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: Top Top on May 31, 2010, 03:05:21 PM
Do you want the octave to jump around at random? OR The octave to come in and out at random?

GOOD QUESTION!.. both will be fun..

Quote from: Top Top on May 31, 2010, 03:05:21 PM
Both could be done with something like Tim Escobedo's PWM as a basis, and then some other CMOS dividers/counters/etc... for the octave and weirdness

thanks for your suggestions.. i will look into it..

rousejeremy

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Mark Hammer

Build the MXR Blue Box and reduce the gain on the input stage a little bit.  That ought to get you enough random sudden octave appearance. :icon_wink:

FUZZZZzzzz

merci a bunch! so.. random weirdness often comes with fuzzy / overdriven signal.. or is a more clean approach also possible?

Eb7+9

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on May 31, 2010, 02:01:19 PM
random drops and peaks while playing... has anyone done this before?

www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/sch/shocktave.html

stick a variable gain amplifier in front of Joe's sickly cool circuit and you'll get tons of what you're looking for ...
assuming you're talking octave DOWN

CynicalMan

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: CynicalMan on May 31, 2010, 04:03:15 PM
Quote from: rousejeremy on May 31, 2010, 03:43:56 PM
Random Number Generator? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r6A6rqI9xo

+1

This is similar:
sites.google.com/site/distorque/home/projects/pitch-incinerator

For clean octave, you might as well get one of these, three of these, and kick it around as randomly as you can.  :icon_wink:

i love you guys!.. i thought i was the only one with ideas like that.. :icon_lol:

Mark Hammer

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on May 31, 2010, 03:59:30 PM
merci a bunch! so.. random weirdness often comes with fuzzy / overdriven signal.. or is a more clean approach also possible?
Guitar signals are inherently variable.  The 4013 flip-flop that is used in so many octave-down units requires a certain signal level, or rather, has a threshold level that must be crossed, for it to transition from flip to flop (i.e., from one state to another).  If you want random octaving, you simply have to ride that threshold so that it gets crossed intermittently, rather than consistently.

R.G.

Build an octave up and an octave down. Use semiconductor switching to choose between the three. Drive the selector inputs with random digital sequences.

It's more reliable that way.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: R.G. on May 31, 2010, 05:14:29 PM
Build an octave up and an octave down. Use semiconductor switching to choose between the three. Drive the selector inputs with random digital sequences.

- build an octave up and octave down... check
- Use semiconductor switching to choose between the three (you mean the up / down and normal in to out signal?)
- Drive the selector inputs with random digital sequences.  (how do I do that? can i take a piece of an existing design?)

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on June 01, 2010, 05:03:19 AM
Quote from: R.G. on May 31, 2010, 05:14:29 PM

- build an octave up and octave down... check
- Use semiconductor switching to choose between the three (you mean the up / down and normal in to out signal?)
- Drive the selector inputs with random digital sequences.  (how do I do that? can i take a piece of an existing design?)

Can someone point me in a direction, concerning the following?

thanks

R.G.

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on June 04, 2010, 08:21:13 AM
Can someone point me in a direction, concerning the following?
Go read http://www.geofex.com.You'll find all of it very helpful, and it will pre-answer a lot of questions you haven't thought of yet. But in particular, you want to look at http://geofex.com/FX_images/pseudorandom2.pdf and http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/cd4053/cd4053.htm
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

FUZZZZzzzz

thanks for the directions!!! appreciated!!!! ;)