talk box brain fart

Started by TimWaldvogel, June 02, 2010, 10:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimWaldvogel

i just got my parts in from small bear and am working on a couple projects right now... how ever my brain never stomps working, never stops asking questions and i am curious...

heres the deal.

i have seen people get horn drivers and internally power them with the rubyamp\noisy cricket\ any lm386 amplifer to make a general talk box.

my question is how can you make this talkbox more like the  rocktron banshee and the danelectro free speech. how do you make the sound continue through the effects chain to the amp. i do not want a talk box like the ones that go from the amp head to a speaker box. and i would be curious. if you made the ruby amp to power it, can you also add an output which does not send power through the output while still powering the horn driver, or 8" speaker?
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT LARGE PEDALBOARDS....

.... I BET YOU WISH YOUR PEDALBOARD WAS AS LARGE AS MINE

petemoore

my question is how can you make this talkbox more like the  rocktron banshee and the danelectro free speech.
From what I can tell, these two mentioned are very different.
how do you make the sound continue through the effects chain to the amp. I don't, but if I did I would buy, then study then maybe sell free speech, I have a talk box if I want it, basically it's a splitter, amp, horn, tube.
  i do not want a talk box like the ones that go from the amp head to a speaker box.
  Haven't heard of that kind, there's the free speech [which I guess has a mic built in, watch out for feedback they say], then there's the talk-box.
  Basically it requires "PA" but if you plug the mic in some other thing you can hear the guitar tone, injected into your mouth where your morphing oral cavity can control the resonant frequencies [which are of wavelengths the mouth can accomodate] and make vowel sounds. The waves can be heard through your ears, but placing a microphone close to your mouth and amplifying the relevant frequencies [to amp all of them takes a substantial system, or PA, guitar amp'll do what a guitar amp'll do].
  The strength of the signal piped into the mouth is weak and very thin by amped/speaker standards, sourcing [microphone] and amplification is the only way to make it bigger/of sufficient volume to be useful.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

My guess is the free speech places the microphone and cable in the tube, the amplified mouthed-air-waves are then fed back to the box to a Dano preamp [or mixer], then output.

TimWaldvogel

So in this stance it looks like I should give up and just wait til Xmas for my fiancé to buy me one

stringsthings

Quote from: TimWaldvogel on June 02, 2010, 10:15:20 PM
i just got my parts in from small bear and am working on a couple projects right now... how ever my brain never stomps working, never stops asking questions and i am curious...

heres the deal.

i have seen people get horn drivers and internally power them with the rubyamp\noisy cricket\ any lm386 amplifer to make a general talk box.

my question is how can you make this talkbox more like the  rocktron banshee and the danelectro free speech. how do you make the sound continue through the effects chain to the amp. i do not want a talk box like the ones that go from the amp head to a speaker box. and i would be curious. if you made the ruby amp to power it, can you also add an output which does not send power through the output while still powering the horn driver, or 8" speaker?

i have a banshee and i like it very muchly .... but it does not send the talk box sound to the amp .... you have to use a mic to pick up the sound coming out of the tube ( that you stick in your mouth ) ....

TimWaldvogel

What comes through the amp then?

Hides-His-Eyes

Nothing- it should all go into the tube.

Sound tech's nightmare I'm sure.

The dano free speech has mics that plug in to the back which are then sent along to the next pedal. There are advantages and disadvantages, as you can no doubt guess, but the feedback issue would be a big one, especially at a band practise.

petemoore

I had brought the 5w tube amp, 30w talk box horn, tube...oh yes, it could be made to TB.
  I hooked it all up and tweek-dialed it in at the gig.
   It worked just fine too.
     No-one noticed. The sound guy training effectiveness lapsed into beer-mode at the critical moments, It soon became clear that no-one detected any of the vowel tones.

stringsthings

Quote from: TimWaldvogel on June 03, 2010, 01:38:42 AM
What comes through the amp then?

when the talk box is "on", the banshee distorts your guitar signal and sends that thru the tube .... when the talk box is "off", the banshee bypasses your guitar signal to the amp ..... [ nifty feature #37: the banshee has an external speaker jack - when you plug into this, it sends the distorted signal to your external speaker instead of the tube  :icon_biggrin:  - plenty of signal to fry small speakers ....  :icon_idea: ]