TONESTACK question

Started by euronymous0001, June 03, 2010, 10:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

euronymous0001

guys,

this is the tonestack from marshall mg10, i need to increase its bass, my problem is that i cannot
use the duncan TSC since i cannot decipher what TS among the choices to use ??? ??? ???

maybe somebody could point me to the right direction ;D

thanks

euronymous0001

anchovie

All that tone control does is adjust the amount of mid-scoop. You could try doubling the value of any coupling capacitors used between input/gain stages to maybe increase the bass.

Bear in mind that this is a practice amp with a small cheap speaker, so you might just end up with a nasty muddy sound rather than a rumbling box of doom!
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Ice-9

There will be another section in your amp that is the bass and treble controls. The section of the schematic you have pictured above is the contour control which as said above is a mid scoop control. See if you can post the tone section of the schematic and we may be able to point you in the correct direction.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

euronymous0001

@anchovie
that is what im fearing, actually i need to increase the bass in the clean channel only (if possible)
but i think that, since both channels share the same "TS" both channels would be affected if change
values in the TS.

@Ice-9
the amp's TS AFAIK (since im a noob  :icon_mrgreen:) consists only of that section.
here is the schem, minus the power supply section. hope it helps in me getting additional
bass for this amp.

thanks guys!

maybe this better

euronymous0001

having problems posting bigger picture on photobucket ???

or this one?

MikeH

looks like the contour control is the only tone control on the amp.  So the best bet to increasing bass is what was stated before- increasing the size of the coupling caps.  Or you could try increasing C11, which I think is creating an RC filter with R10 and R11- don't quote me on that.  I've never seen a tone control like this.  Also try bigger values for C12.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

oskar

I'ld target C7 first. Make it bigger and/or decrease the resistor above it.
I can't tell the value of the input cap/ c1 but you could try increasing it.

euronymous0001

sorry for the bad pics
c1 22n
c7 150n
r7 820

PRR

> marshall mg10, i need to increase its bass

If you want bass, don't buy Marshall; at least not little Marshalls. Marshall's trademark is clear bright loud midrange (i.e. they shave the bass).

What oskar said. "I'd target C7 first". Your values suggest a boost above 1,300Hz! I'd add that C3 is likely a bass-shave also. That's where Marshall typically shaved the bass: the first stage. You could make both of these 10 times bigger and still lose a bit of your lowest notes. That may be too much for the undersized speaker? I'd try a couple of 0.5uFd or 1.0uFd. Rather than wrestle the PCB, just tack a cap onto the existing caps' solder-pads. That tack-job won't survive a long road-trip but will last long enough to find out if it is worth doing this permanently.

> bass in the clean channel only

Shorten C6. In fact put C7 here, that may be about right.

> i cannot use the duncan TSC since i cannot decipher what TS among the choices to use

Nothing like this in Duncan. It is an obscure design. Gibson used something distantly related, but rarely adjustable. As anchovie said, "All that tone control does is adjust the amount of mid-scoop". There's lots of other tone-shaping in a guitar amp, especially a mass produced cheap-labor amp where parts-count hardly matters.
  • SUPPORTER

euronymous0001

Ice-9

The components after C24 look like a tonestack, but where the pots would bein this arrangement are replaced with set value resistors. I can't make out the component numbers from the picture but if you take the components in this area and look at a marshall tonestack arrangement you will see where i mean.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

euronymous0001

Quote from: Ice-9 on June 04, 2010, 10:38:19 AM
The components after C24 look like a tonestack, but where the pots would bein this arrangement are replaced with set value resistors. I can't make out the component numbers from the picture but if you take the components in this area and look at a marshall tonestack arrangement you will see where i mean.

it is not the same, but you're right that it indeed looks like a tonestack. can you verify that it is a tonestack.
cant try out the suggeastions yet, the amp is still not in my possession. :icon_mrgreen: thanks

PRR

> can you verify that it is a tonestack.

No. It is clearly their "Headphone/line out with speaker emulation". The response tracks the power response of a 12" cone.

> marshall mg10, i need to increase its bass

So I am an idiot: I didn't know what an MG10 is. This is a 6-inch $69 box. You CAN'T get bass from a toy like that.
  • SUPPORTER

euronymous0001

looks like that it would be on on c1, c7 and r7 then.
thanks

stringsthings

Quote from: PRR on June 05, 2010, 02:10:15 AM
.... I didn't know what an MG10 is. This is a 6-inch $69 box. You CAN'T get bass from a toy like that ....

yeah ... the MG10 is one of their lowest cost beginner models ....  it's not bad for the price .... but it's clearly aimed at a specific demographic ....