Transformer salvage - Need some help

Started by bamera, June 04, 2010, 12:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamera

I salvaged a transformer from a brazilian brand audio system (7 Cd player, tape deck, tuner) popular here in the 90´s.

There are 5 pins on the primary and 9 pins on the secondary. I´m wondering if anyone can help me understand how how the primary should be hooked up to at 110v.

Below are pics of the actual transformer and the schematics of the sound system it belongs to.

I´d appreciate any input on this as I can´t understand why of the 5 pins on the primary.

Thanks.

stringsthings

petemoore

NOt to be a nay-sayer, just sayin' I have iron like that, and it was passed over for simpler taps.
  The way I do 'em is start with a 'wimpy' voltage, easy enough to get a good reading with, 2vAC from a wall wart is nice.
  8x11 piece of paper, and a pen...
  Start testing for coils, grab two wires, try the 'beep' mode [sometimes the very low resistance will beep the DMM], otherwise write down when you get some form of connectivity between two wires, and the ohmage [fancy meter helps to show ohmage differences between the very low ohm coils].
  So you you have ID'd some primary coils.
  Read all about transformer impedance ratios, also the voltage ratios [what we can work with easily, what you're looking for is a voltage conversion.
  Make sure no two secondary wires touch [I use a cardboard and tape the wires along the strip to keep 'em separated, recommended for this one].
  Measure the taps of the secondary [helps if you ID them coils as you did in the primary].
  Look for a voltage you can use...oh...you'll have to multiply, figure out what your AC test-wimp voltage is, say it's 2vac, you're starting with 120vac [I guess] so 2 is to 120 as...60x bigger.
  Take a voltage you see at the secondary x60, there's what you'll be getting if you put 120 on the primary.
  All that said, start with a transformer you know will work and is simple to figure out, current rating of course is another criterion, Hard to say with all those taps what's going on...
  Perhaps I'll learn something here too, but I believe I'll still prefer using 'easy iron' like with 2 wires coming out each side, or the secondary taps I need/know what they are current/voltage wise, that the ratings will perform in the application.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.