|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 10:16:33 AM
968988 Posts in 103374 Topics by 32878 Members
Latest Member: Billyc87
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  Projects  |  Beginner Project  |  Build Completed - The Red Student 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Build Completed - The Red Student  (Read 3584 times)
Load3r

Ken P, Toronto

Build Completed - The Red Student
« on: April 16, 2010, 03:07:48 PM »

So here is my (semi)completed NPN boost, dubbed the Red Student! I am very proud of my first project.

As you can see, the board is still unsecured and their is no switch (and that adapter jack socket isn't wired in either), but the little guy sings!

The transistor currently is 2N5089, but I am going to pop in 2N2222, 2N5088 and BC108 to see how they all fare.
The 8 pin socket is for optional diode clipping, as suggested by Erik Hansen. Currently socketed with germanium diodes! Woo!
The (foreseeable) downside being that the output is reduced, meaning the drive pot has to be past about half to actually boost the signal.
Once I get the switch on I can get a better idea of the change produced.

The case itself is a repurposed TV signal combiner. Perfect sized holes for the jacks and pot, and even has a adapter socket built in.
The picture is from an old (70's) chinese magazine I found a few years ago, and the text on the right says "Give your heart to flirtations, lose your heart to studies."
I think the caps are all de-soldered from junk stereo boards I have collected, the film cap for sure.

Thanks again for the great instructions Aron.
deadastronaut

Rob H. LONDON

Re: Build Completed - The Red Student
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 03:13:39 PM »

great..its a nice feeling when you build ya first pedal that works...and sounds cool...

rob icon_twisted icon_twisted icon_twisted

Load3r

Ken P, Toronto

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 09:42:31 AM »

So after looking at many schematics and looking at different diode clipping arrangements, I realized I had soldered my boost wrong!
Turns out I had the diode socket in series instead of parallel to ground!  icon_redface Oops.
Fixed!
aron
Administrator

Aron Nelson

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:53:26 PM »

Great that you found it!

Aron
GibsonGM

Mike Parker (aka. Guitar Mike, Parks, etc)

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »

Nice build, Ken.  Can't wait to hear the Constitution Chorus!    ;o)
Maybe in your case, the Magna Carta Drive, lol.

MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...
pgm

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 08:21:38 AM »

it says on the picture in chinese  Grin

when talking about love, theres passion
when studying, theres no commitment
ie more interested in gossiping than studying
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: