Copyright Infringement. Please read.

Started by mgfx, June 09, 2010, 05:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgfx

I recently came across this website:

www.madbeanspedals.com

After a closer look to their projects, I noticed that the project list, parts list and even the layout was all copied from www.tonepad.com

This guy just made a few modifications to make it look slightly different, but the design components that are part of Francisco Pena's copyright are still there.

Tonepad has been a great resource of free layouts for about 10 years and people taking advantage of this to get their own profit pop out everyday, however, this guy has gone over the top copying not only one layout but an entire library and make it look like his own. Even adding a copyright notice himself.

I would like to remind everyone that Tonepad's layout are there for free for personal use and nobody has the rights to sell a PCB based on his layouts.

To keep the sharing in the DIY community, please avoid supporting stolen work.

theehman

Quote from: mgfx on June 09, 2010, 05:10:21 PM
I recently came across this website:

www.madbeanspedals.com

After a closer look to their projects, I noticed that the project list, parts list and even the layout was all copied from www.tonepad.com

This guy just made a few modifications to make it look slightly different, but the design components that are part of Francisco Pena's copyright are still there.

Tonepad has been a great resource of free layouts for about 10 years and people taking advantage of this to get their own profit pop out everyday, however, this guy has gone over the top copying not only one layout but an entire library and make it look like his own. Even adding a copyright notice himself.

I would like to remember everyone that Tonepad's layout are there for free for personal use and nobody has the rights to sell a PCB based on this layouts.

To keep the sharing in the DIY community, please avoid supporting stolen work.

Correct URL: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

John Lyons

Can you be more specific?
Madbean has far more layouts that Tonepad
and most of what is at Madbeans site isn't at tonepad.
I have compared a few of the layouts that are at both
Tonepad and Madbean's site and they are not alike.

Also, the link you provided is wrong.
Here is the correct link.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

kurtlives

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

bean

Sorry, but BS. I do not copy any layouts. Ever. While there are a couple of projects on Tonepad that I used as the building blocks (most recently the CE-2) I drew the schematic my own way and created my own original layout and all the content in each project on my website. And, there are far, far more projects available on my site that have nothing to do with Tonepad. I agree, it is a wonderful resource, and I recommend it to people all the time, along with GGG and ROG and more recently guitarpcb.com

Furthermore, the information on my site is free to everyone. The documents are my creation, hence the assigning of a copyright to protect the time I've invested in creating the projects. Tonepad did not invent the CE-2, or the Fuzz Face, or the Orange Squeezer. Nobody is obligated to pay me anything. They can take what they want and use it how they wish, within the caveats I request.

Please get your facts straight before making potentially libelous statements about madbeanpedals publicly. If you had any idea what you are talking about, you would know that I am heavily involved in the DIY comuunity and have been providing lots of materials, time, layouts and help to others for years.

Considering your post count of "2" this smacks of nothing but trolling.

chi_boy

Mmmmm.  Popcorn with butter, salt and parmasean cheese.  I love a good action flick!
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

cloudscapes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

frequencycentral

Is it silly season? There have been some daft posts/threads recently.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

MmmPedals

Someone jealous of madbean?
Maybe because his sight is awesome.

bean

Thanks for your words of support Mmmm....

I've already found out who is responsible for the post (this person has posted the same thing on several other forums) and emailed her affiliated company in response. I don't care if anyone wants to badmouth me...that doesn't bother me at all. But, I won't let anyone accuse me of stealing someone's artwork. It's never happened, and it never will. I've requested that portion of the post(s) be removed by the poster.

And, that's all I have to say about it....I have a Colorsound Overdriver to get built :)

frequencycentral

Quote from: mgfx on June 09, 2010, 05:10:21 PM
...........DIY community...........

Madbean probably has the respect of everyone in the DIY community. Nice first post mgfx, alienate yourself straight away why don't you?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

rousejeremy

Quote from: frequencycentral on June 09, 2010, 06:12:06 PM
Is it silly season? There have been some daft posts/threads recently.

This is how we get great signatures!
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

TimWaldvogel

Wow mgfx your words are about as good as the Marshall amps your name is similar to... Complete junk an not worth the time and effort
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT LARGE PEDALBOARDS....

.... I BET YOU WISH YOUR PEDALBOARD WAS AS LARGE AS MINE

DiamondDog

Seriously- does mgfx really think that we aren't aware of what's at Madbean's site and Tonepad's site, and if Bean was copying layouts (which he's not) we would have worked that out already? The closest thing Brian has done as far as I can see is include the mods on his CE-2 build that are on the Tonepad project sheet, and as far as I know Francesco only documented them anyway.

By  the way, mgfx if your Kanji is reasonable, try Homemade Effects. That should give you more to complain about. They've even got a Rebote...

My respects and kudos to Francesco and Brian. Long may you both layout!  ;D
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

nick d

mgfx is seriously unhinged . I can see no similarity , for instance , between the Orange Sqeezer and Cupcake layouts , and a few diferences in schemos , etc. According to this "person" , we are all guilty of stealing everything from Dan Armstong , Roger Mayer , EH , and probably Leo Fender .
             For gods sake , GET A LIFE!!!!!

Ry

Time to cleanse the pallate with a stupid joke :icon_rolleyes::

A man opens his front door and retrieves the morning paper. Noticing a snail on it he flicks it into the yard. Three weeks later there's a knock at the door. Man answers. It's an angry snail who says - "What in the hell was that all about??!!"

The Tone God

This thread is being locked at the OP's request.

I will remind people that issues like these should be handled privately and not in public.

I will also remind people that only copyright owners have the right to challenge infringement. If you are not the copyright owner and observe copyright infringement then contact the copyright owner and let the owner decide the best course of action. Do not become a "copyright vigilante" and call people out in public.

Thread locked.

Andrew