diy amp from ART Tube MP preamp?

Started by monkeywrench, June 10, 2010, 04:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeywrench

probably way out of my league, but i'm wondering how involved it would be to make a diy ruby type amp from an ART Tube MP preamp, in the same enclosure.  i have one laying around that i don't use anymore, and it's a sweet preamp.  it's 9-volt ac only, but i would want to power it with a 9-volt battery too.  thoughts?  ideas?  suggestions? schematics?  would such a project simply make my brain gush out of my ears in a torrent of failure?

here's the preamp.

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=79&cat=1&id=1

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken

Ben N

I've got one of those, and it does sound good. However, even though I have never popped the hood or seen a schematic, I doubt very much this is really the way to go for you. For one thing, a battery, if it could run on one, would last about 6 seconds (unscientific estimate) before it gets very hot and dies. For another, the output is likely to be rather hot for a 386-based amp, which is what a ruby is. Finally, the complexity of such a project is just not worth it compared to rolling your own.

If you want to hook a tube preamp up to a low power chip amp, search around here for subminiature tube based projects and threads, mostly courtesy of our resident mad scientist, glass master and perfboarder extraordinaire, frequencycentral. Also search on line for Sopht amps. There are lots of booster, preamps and overdrives, not to mention a few amps. You ought to be able to find something with power supply requirements and output levels compatible with a 386 or other small power amp. A hearing-aid tube driving a 386 might make for a great little project.
  • SUPPORTER

monkeywrench

thanks for the honest reply.  i just liked the idea of using that enclosure, but didn't think about voltage.  thanks again.  i'll check out your links/suggestions.
--H. L. Mencken

TimWaldvogel

use beavis audios layout for the tube cricket. awesome tube sound from a 12au7 pre and the noisy cricket amp/ruby right after
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT LARGE PEDALBOARDS....

.... I BET YOU WISH YOUR PEDALBOARD WAS AS LARGE AS MINE

monkeywrench

--H. L. Mencken

Ben N

Quote from: TimWaldvogel on June 11, 2010, 12:15:59 AM
use beavis audios layout for the tube cricket. awesome tube sound from a 12au7 pre and the noisy cricket amp/ruby right after
I forgot about that one. Good call.
  • SUPPORTER