ROG May Queen mods?

Started by anhero, June 11, 2010, 11:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anhero

Hey there. Just joined and this is my first post.

I built a May Queen and right now it's still sitting on the breadboard. I left out the optional cap and my only parts subs are a UOS (used old stock) 2N5089 for Q1 instead of the specified 5088 and a 2N5457 for Q3 instead of the J201. I have no 5089s or J201s so that's why I used sub'd parts. I really love the sound I get, but I'd still like to get a couple more things out of it.

1: I'd like to add a gain control. I searched and found this thread but I have yet to try that. When he says "between Q2 and Q3" is he referring to putting the pot at the Q2 collecor/Q3 gate?

2: I'd also like to get some more treble out of it, if possible. Better yet, have it switchable, that way i can still use it for non-Queen stuff, then flip a switch and have some decent Queen sounds.

Thanks for any help.

anhero

So I sort of solved the More Treble issue but still have no idea how to add a gain control. I tried the method in the link in the OP but its just a volume control.

panterafanatic

A volume control inserted into certain sections of a dirtbox is a "gain" control. Most "gain" controls control the audio level going into the clipping stage, higher levels are clipped more and become more distorted. This is the "hi gain" that most people refer too. But gain is actually an amplification factor, nothing more. A volume control is just a voltage divider (for this purpose anyway), therefor if you don't like the placement there, maybe you should add one at the beginning of the circuit; although this will tamper with the input impedance, but that may not be a huge issue either.

I know you've fixed the treble issue but if you use a ON-OFF-ON switch you can select between three coupling cap varieties, this should give you more flavor to the tone. With the OFF position having no caps in parallel with the normal coupling cap. And one ON position selecting a certain cap of your liking in parallel, remembering that caps add in parallel. and the other ON position selecting a different cap to choose different cap which in parallel to the coupling cap gives you another sufficient tone.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

anhero

When I said it acted like a volume control, I meant it acts exactly like a volume control. with the pot lug grounded, it shunts more and more signal so the overall output of the effect gets lower until at max CCW rotation it becomes 0. It has no effect on the distortion I actually hear.

As for the treble thing, I just swapped around different bypass caps on Q3. This also affects the overall gain, as you said before (which was the reason I played with the values, the treble effect is just a bonus). Bumping the supply voltage up to 12v-18v also helps. It makes it a little more narrow, slightly compressed, and brings out harmonics.

Renegadrian

Hijack the topic to keep the forum clean - it's the same subject after all...

So, a friend of mine asked me to build him a may queen, he plays in a Q. tribute band.
He really likes the pedal, but he's asking to change the gain part, both in amount and in tweakability.
He wants more gain with its own pot.
I went the 2kB pot way, instead of the 2.2k res. wired as the fuzz face gain pot. it's not that effective...Changing the electro for higher values doesn't add gain. I got nowhere swapping components in that area...

I'd like to ask you what can I do to achieve more gain and have a better gain pot.
I did try with mine, but more clues are welcome!!!

Maybe it'd be ok to add another stage?! with the pot there?! If so, before, after or inside the original schem!?
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Renegadrian

gotta try a gain stage before or after it...

Gus

http://www.runoffgroove.com/mayqueen.html

This circuit?

You need more gain? maybe a different circuit is needed.

Note the two .01uf(10nf) you can adjust them for the high pass.   You might get a little more gain reducing the 33k try a 22k there are a few things going on if you reduce that value you load the first gain stage and you change the RC time constant of the second RC high pass filter so you might want to increase the .01uf cap value.

If you look close the circuit is kind of like a version of some 3 transistor fuzz circuits,  gain stage then a FF like circuit using a JFET for the second transistor.

Renegadrian

OK so maybe it'd be smart to fiddle with both the first stage (giving it more a "brian may treble boost" appearance) and the third stage, going with another npn instead of the fet and play with the gain values of the first or second/third stages.
thx for the suggestion!

Strangely enough, the classic fuzz face gain pot arrangement never worked good in this ckt...As the treble boost ckt (I'd like to use here as first stage) has the typical gain stage too (res. and electro cap from emitter to grd), I want to try to have an electro on that first stage and the gain pot there.

kurtlives

Try adding a bypass cap to the emitter of Q1.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Renegadrian

Quote from: Renegadrian on September 30, 2011, 11:33:38 AM
...I want to try to have an electro on that first stage and the gain pot there.

Yeah Chris, read the last sentence of my previous post!!!  ;D makes even more sense if you suggest it too...makes me think that could be a good way...