How do you cut those rectangle holes for the slide switches (spst, dpdt)

Started by jimmybjj, June 15, 2010, 08:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

...as stated in the title. I can't think of a clean way to accomplish this. Thanks for any help.

amptramp

If you are working with sheet aluminum, a nibbler will work.  If you are working with cast aluminum or sheet steel, drill a hole and then use square or triangular files to open the hole out to the shape you want.  Files will clean upany uneven surface left by a nibbler as well.

mattthegamer463

If you have access to some eccentric machines, a laser cutter or a punch and die set can make nice rectangles.

For us normal folks, drill a hole with a diameter smaller than the finished rectangle width, and file it to shape.

Paul Marossy

I draw the outline of the rectangular hole with an extra extra fine point Sharpie marker. Then I drill a series of small holes, in two rows. Next I use wire cutters to nibble/cut away what is left. Then I finish it up with various small files.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I don't think that I spend more than ten minutes on it.

G. Hoffman

jimmybjj

Quote from: G. Hoffman on June 16, 2010, 12:30:03 AM
Use a mini-toggle instead.  ;)  ;D

Gabriel

But they don't sound the same  ;D

Quote from: Paul Marossy on June 15, 2010, 09:43:13 PM
I draw the outline of the rectangular hole with an extra extra fine point Sharpie marker. Then I drill a series of small holes, in two rows. Next I use wire cutters to nibble/cut away what is left. Then I finish it up with various small files.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I don't think that I spend more than ten minutes on it.

Is this the type of nibbler you guys use?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg4/R-100647884/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

earthtonesaudio

I typically just drill a couple holes and file.  It really REALLY helps to have a nice clean sharp file.

Oh, and I've only attempted this on cast aluminum.

petemoore

The method Paul described...
Or go with a large circle-hole, and put a square patch of substrate that's easier to cut neat square lines into, over it...four screws for the plate.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

salocin

Depending on the size of the hole required, a dremel can be helpful sometimes. I still end up using a file to clean up though.