Tip to ground?

Started by Jerry J, June 18, 2010, 05:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry J

I am getting ready to build a simple switch box that uses a "tip to ground" signal to change states in amplifier. I placed a call to the amp manufacturers tech support but missed the return call and they are closed for the weekend.

Does "tip to ground" mean shorting the tip of the 1/4" plug to the sleeve if the sleeve is tied to ground in a pedal box? Or in otherwords simply shorting the tip and sleeve?

GibsonGM

yes, i believe it refers to shorting the tip to ground, which the sleeve should already be connected to.  A quick test is to plug a cord into the appropriate amp jack, and use a pc. of wire to short the 2 together.  Should do what you want, and will allow you to see how the switch is set up (ie., "open" = 1 state, jumped together = the other state)...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Jerry J

Thank you for the reply GibsonGM. I was thinking that this was just too simple so I felt I should get a second opinion.

Here is an excerpt from the owner's manual...

The M6 CARBINE Function jacks respond to simple grounding type (tip-to-ground) latching (not momentary)
logic and most switchers on the market offer several jacks that can be dedicated to this type of logic.

To trigger a VOICE mode remotely using the Function Switches: Select VOICE position 3/ EXT SWITCH (straight up). Connect
a standard ΒΌ" unshielded (speaker type) cable to the VOICE jack(s) of your choice and "ground the tip to the ring" of the opposing end of the cable. The corresponding VOICE mode will be engaged and you will hear the sound change.