Differences between varieties of 2SK30 JFETs?

Started by Mark Hammer, June 19, 2010, 10:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I have an easy time picking up K30AY transistors at reasonable price, but keep seeing these "select" SK30ATM-GR FETs pop up in various schematics, such as older Roland/Boss phasers and such.

Anybody know what the difference is between these GR types and the regular K30s?  Are they matched to some spec?  units that are guaranteed to fall within a certain range of the overall K30 spec?  Can a person with enough "regular" K30s on hand find some GR types in there?

analogguru

I have hundreds of -GR, could I find -Y types in it ?
A look at the datasheet gives the answer (at the bottom of the first page):
http://www.synthdiy.com/files/2007/2sk30atm_en_datasheet_030325.pdf

Idss classification: .... -Y: 1,20 ~ 3,00  -GR: 2,60 ~ 6,50

analogguru

Mark Hammer

A-ha!  Thanks for that.  So there is a chance that I may be in possession of some K30s that meet the GR spec.

Question:  How would I measure drain current, and what would I need to do that?  Would it be something as simple as the setup for matching JFETs on Vgs?

B Tremblay

Mark, you can use this circuit to find Vp and Idss of FETs: http://runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html#11

Here's a Japanese datasheet that outlines the different suffix meanings: http://www.synthdiy.com/files/2007/2sk30a_japanese.pdf

I'd like to find some 2SK30AR to compare with J201.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Gus

IDSS 9VDC supply, meter set to current in the + leg to the drain, gate to source to ground, connect other meter leg to +9VDC.  that is the IDSS at 9Vdrain source.  If the jfets are from the same batch the other parameters should be close.  I would select for what parameter is more important.

greaser_au

Idss is the maximum 'natural' flow of current through the JFET channel with no other influences, i.e. zero gate bias.

I (current) ds (drain to source) s  (gate shorted -  typically the last letter in a 4 letter parameter refers to the connection 'status'  of the remaining terminal)

In theory you could use a very direct method and measure it by shorting the JFET's G & S terminals, and  connecting your multimeter (on mA range) to a 6V or 9V (stay below the FET's Vdgs) battery with the JFET in series between them (D to battery +). This IS NASTY, & carries a risk of toasting your multimeter if the device is shorted or you mess it up.  Better would be to use a small, say 100-1kohm resistor in series. Ohm's law still applies, & using a too-large resistor may swamp your test;   e.g. using a 9v battery to test a device with an Idss of 6.5mA (max for GR spec), would drop 6.5v across a 1k resistor leaving 2.5v across the FET- probably ok, but if you were using a 6V battery for the test...   :)

As an aside the various spec range letters used to be painted/inked colour codes on the devices: GReen, BLue, Red, Orange, Yellow

mac

I have the datasheet of those Toshiba 2sk30atm.
I do not think they are similar to  J201, higher Vgsoff and possibly less gain.
Toshiba 2sk117 have low Vgs and more gain than J201. Same idss classification as 2sk30.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

R.G.

The "GR" and "YL" (which stand for "green dot" and "yellow dot") subgroups are sub-bins of devices sorted by Idss.

Since Idss is linked to Vgsoff, it's also a sort for how much voltage is needed to either get the device into the linear resistance/triode region or turn it on/off as a switch.

Hence specification of a particular group.

J201 is NOT similar to the 2SK30 excepting they're both JFETs.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

arawn

Thanks mark this seems to havebeen quite educational and everyone whio has contributed wow!
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

Mark Hammer

That it has, my friend.

I'm looking forward to checking out the K30s in my bin.

marsen

So what the IDSS classification affect to our applications?

R.G.

Quote from: marsen on June 01, 2011, 02:38:32 PM
Idss, transconductance ("mu"), and Vgsoff are related by the physics of the device. Picking an Idss group limits the variations of the transconductance and Vgsoff.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

mikro

Quote from: R.G. on June 01, 2011, 02:46:20 PM
Quote from: marsen on June 01, 2011, 02:38:32 PM
Idss, transconductance ("mu"), and Vgsoff are related by the physics of the device. Picking an Idss group limits the variations of the transconductance and Vgsoff.

What happens if I use a JFET marked "Y" in a circuit that needs a "GR" according to the schematic?

J0K3RX

2SK30ATM

IDSS classification / R: 0.30~0.75 / O: 0.60~1.40 / Y: 1.20~3.00 / GR: 2.60~6.50

2SK30A-R are comparable to J201's but with less noise and are about as hard to find as Bigfoot riding a Unicorn...

Also, they are the exact same spec as 2SK208 and 2SK879.

2SK208-R are commonly used in almost all of the AMT Electronics JFET preamps.

You can find both on ebay but you will be hard pressed to find any with the "R" idss drain current rank.
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

kingswayguitar

Quote from: greaser_au on June 19, 2010, 12:57:57 PM
Better would be to use a small, say 100-1kohm resistor in series.

I find even 100R to be a bit high.  I bought a super accurate 1W 1ohm resistor especially for this purpose.
:)

greaser_au

Quote from: kingswayguitar on January 30, 2014, 09:05:58 PM

I find even 100R to be a bit high.  I bought a super accurate 1W 1ohm resistor especially for this purpose.

Strewth...  this is an old thread...  that one must have been my first post on this forum!!!

david

kingswayguitar

Quote from: greaser_au on January 31, 2014, 07:26:59 AM
Quote from: kingswayguitar on January 30, 2014, 09:05:58 PM

Strewth...  this is an old thread...  that one must have been my first post on this forum!!!

david

Cheers man!!
  :icon_smile: