Simple MT-2 wiring question

Started by blukrr, June 20, 2010, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blukrr

Hi guys I'm in doubt of how to do the offboard wiring job on this mt-2 clone I found at http://web.tiscali.it/boxsmt2clone2005home/index.htm

I'm sure a lot of people know this project but, for me it wasn't really clear for a first time DIY builder. I'm quite familiar with PCBs but I'm not that familiar with pedals.

The red and the blue circle on the image below are the pads I don't know what to do with. In the order they appear are mirrored copper side (in case it's hard to see in the layout), ac adaptor polarity (which is obvious for pedals), PCB layout with components.

I suspect that one of the pads in the red circle is for the battery (-) wire (which I'm not using) and the other pad I think I'm supposed to solder to the border trace of the board which should be the ground trace, I'm saying this because I see no other connection actually grounding this circuit to the outside border copper trace.
The blue one I think it's the other battery (+) wire.

Thanks guys, any help it's appreciated.

stringsthings

if you're not going to be using a 9V battery, you don't want to connect anything to those pads ....

you will find unused pads on many commercial PCBs .... it's cheaper to leave unused pads on boards when circuits get modified ...  some are redundant pads ....

the pads on the right appear to be there for a connection to a switch which would be connected to the positve side of a 9V .... the pad on the left, by the power in jack, is for the negative side of the battery .... on the power in jack, this is connected to ground ( the upper middle pad of the power in jack ) ... when you provide power by AC adaptor, this mechanically disconnects that ground wire from the battery ... [ that way, you're not using battery power at the same time as power from the AC adaptor ] ....

if you peek around the circuit board, you'll find components and a jumper or two that connects the outside ground trace to the rest of the circuit ....

blukrr

What I found odd in this circuit is that the (-) from the power in jack (colered in red) isn't connected to the rest of the circuit as you can see in the image below. The red trace path seems to "die" without closing the circuit.

That's why I come to think it should be connnected to any of the ground pads on the circuit.
the full project can be downloaded at http://web.tiscali.it/boxsmt2clone2005home/index.htm

blukrr