GGG/GRO Ring Modulator Question

Started by Philippe, June 22, 2010, 01:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Just curious prior to building something new (& potentially of limited usage)...

On a 'control-less' ring modulator/green ringer type of circuit, is it possible and/or feasible to incorporate some sort of 'frequency control' on the device so as you turn a potentiometer clockwise the frequencies go from lower to higher...as in some kind of occillator control?

If this is applicable, where on the circuit (e.g. something like a GGG RTS PCB) would one attach it?

Mark Hammer

The Green Ringer does produce some RM-like sounds when strings are bent, but then so does every other octave-up fuzz that uses a phase-splitter just like the GR.  A true ring modulator would produce the sideband products, even if yuo used heavy gage flatwounds, whereas the GR and similar only produce the audible sideband products when bending.  It is a byproduct of the circuit, and not the intended goal, so there is really nowhere to insert a modulating signal.

You'll have far better luck with the John Hollis Frobnicator, which IS designed to provide an audio frequency modulating signal.

DougH

I tried the frobnicator on the breadboard and never could get it to work right. I have seen many other reported issues with people getting it working too.

This one of Tim Escobedo's looks more promising to me:

This Beavis one looks interesting too:

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."