Dr. Boogey most recent correct Layout to date

Started by TubeTone, June 25, 2010, 04:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TubeTone

Hello to all,

I have searched for the most recent layout and feel as if my brain is going to explode ~ so many posts.

I am looking for any version that has the big scooped Rectifier tone for rhythm so a two, three or six knob does not matter as long as I get the tone,
it is not that much for lead as I have other pedals just want that big thick mid scooped Rectifier tone, like Korn, God Smack....etc

Scruffie

ghostsauce

Dr Boogey should nail that tone for you, but you might find that it doesn't have enough bass.  Putting bigger caps in C11 and C12 helped me out a lot.  I used a 500nF in C12 and a 1uF in C11. I ride the bass around 9 and it sounds great to me.

TubeTone

has anyone tried polystyrene caps in all the pf locations?

Scruffie

Quote from: TubeTone on June 25, 2010, 11:51:21 AM

has anyone tried polystyrene caps in all the pf locations?
Cap type wont matter, just use whatever caps you can get in the values, those will be fine if they're easy for you to get.

Quote from: ghostsauce on June 25, 2010, 06:46:47 AM
Dr Boogey should nail that tone for you, but you might find that it doesn't have enough bass.  Putting bigger caps in C11 and C12 helped me out a lot.  I used a 500nF in C12 and a 1uF in C11. I ride the bass around 9 and it sounds great to me.

Bass Light? I found mine to have a very thick tight low end, I think adding more would have maddy it flabby... I think that might be something dependant on a persons Amp, Set Up & EQ Settings rather than a Design issue.

ghostsauce

I play in drop C and I really like a lot of bottom end. It's not flabby, it's nice and tight.

deadastronaut

i put a graphic pedal after mine..scoop as much as you like...mean as f... :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Scruffie

Quote from: ghostsauce on June 25, 2010, 12:50:33 PM
I play in drop C and I really like a lot of bottom end. It's not flabby, it's nice and tight.
Yeah I like alot of Bottom End too, as I said, probably down to each Persons Set Up because mine had plenty of Bass going on it, but playing in Drop C regularly would require Raising the Input & Output caps as you got closer to the Bass Frequency as with any pedal, although mine still handles dropped tunings okay but I don't regularly play that low.

Quotei put a graphic pedal after mine..scoop as much as you like...mean as f... icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil

That's what i'd do to get me some huge scoop and Massive Bass  :icon_twisted: (or just change my Amp EQ settings if it was enough)

TubeTone

cool, I run my eq before the dirt pedals and my amp has a good amount of low end.

TubeTone

Scruffie

Quote from: TubeTone on June 25, 2010, 02:32:56 PM

so the most recent/updated version of the Dr. Boogey is 12-14-07?

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/circuits/dr-boogey/

Pretty much, that's the one everyone builds that seems to be the final revision with miller capacitors added, scaled tonestack to be more effective and star grounding and that seemed to oscillate the least for people, the circuit had been worked on for a longgg time before that.

Frequency Central did just do a layout recently with onboard pots though but as far as I know, it hasn't been verified but that could be good as with the lack of wiring pots could help with oscillation... but the Gauss is still thee layout.

TubeTone

ghostsauce

Quote from: Scruffie on June 25, 2010, 12:58:16 PM
Quote from: ghostsauce on June 25, 2010, 12:50:33 PM
Yeah I like alot of Bottom End too, as I said, probably down to each Persons Set Up because mine had plenty of Bass going on it, but playing in Drop C regularly would require Raising the Input & Output caps as you got closer to the Bass Frequency as with any pedal, although mine still handles dropped tunings okay but I don't regularly play that low.

Yeah I totally agree on it being different for each person's setup. I use a marshall and it cranks the bottom end, but using the boogey I found it harsh and shrill.  Or maybe I am just used to a lot more than the pedal was giving me before I swapped caps. /shrug. 

But anyways, yeah you are going to love this pedal.