A fake guitar for your test bench

Started by R.G., June 26, 2010, 02:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

I had the need for a test oscillator when I was away from my signal generator, so I trotted out the Q&D oscillator, which had been broken by its storage.

So while tinkering, I did some things to it I'd intended to do for a while. I made it fake a repeated string pluck by adding an adjustment to make the oscillation decay to zero over a second or so, and a "plucker" to fire off repeated notes.

http://geofex.com/FX_images/Fake Guitar Oscillator.pdf

You can flip it to a constant tone, too. I think this constitutes the world's most accurate, if boring, assistant guitarist.

One dual opamp and a few other parts.

I notice in looking at it that I still can't type. I'll fix some of the misspellings someday.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Bad Chizzle

I dig hot Asian chicks!

Morocotopo

Cool. I´m just making a circuit test "station" (well, really just a piece of wood with two jacks and a proto board...) and this is a perfect addition to it.

Thanks for sharing, R.G.
Morocotopo

earthtonesaudio

danielzink

Oh AWESOME !!!

I've been using an Atari Punk as a tone generator for quite some time - this one would actually let you test delay pedals as well - what with the "plucking" and all.

If some could lay this out to vero or PCB - I'd be forever indebted.

Dan

stringsthings

thanks R.G. .... this falls under the "good to make one day when i get tired of fuzz boxes" circuits !  :icon_mrgreen:

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

soggybag

PRR

Looks real useful.

> I still can't type.

The only mechanical errors I see (6/26/2010 11:24am version) are 2 mis-spaces and a z/x slip.

Quoteline 4: look like aguitar signal
line 10: R1...R3 and C1...C3 determinethe feedback null
last line: All rights rexerved.

Text reads well.

Circuit looks to be drawn correctly. (I assume the twin-T inverts at center frequency? Too tired to work it out.) FWIW, the OUT jack is not marked as such.
  • SUPPORTER

diydave

R.G.

Quote from: PRR on June 27, 2010, 01:13:58 AM
The only mechanical errors I see (6/26/2010 11:24am version) are 2 mis-spaces and a z/x slip.
Quoteline 4: look like aguitar signal
line 10: R1...R3 and C1...C3 determinethe feedback null
last line: All rights rexerved.
Hey, thanks for nailing those down. I noticed the "rexerved" as I posted it, but didn't catch the others. I'll go fix it.

QuoteCircuit looks to be drawn correctly. (I assume the twin-T inverts at center frequency? Too tired to work it out.) FWIW, the OUT jack is not marked as such.
Again, thanks. I did this in about half an hour; I have to finish things like this before I get pulled off to other stuff I have to do. Twin T has an infinitely deep null at center (if the Rs and Cs are tuned just right, these aren't perfect values) and a dramatic phase reversal at center. The null lets the opamp go almost open loop at center and the phase change does the rest. Single transistors make OK Twin T resonators and oscillators, although you have to be very careful with loading effects if you do that. PAIA did several variations of the Twin T as a ringing oscillator (bongos simulator) and resonator (wind/surf simulator) wah ( Poptronics article, 1969 I think), and fake "Leslie", the Synthespin, which was a Twin T resonator/wah driven by an LFO. It's quite flexible.

This thing owes its heritage to the drum simulators mostly.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

joegagan

rg, interesting. a few weeks ago i went on a surfin safari diving deep into fifties and sixties organ schematics. the signal generator portions for drum sounds were interesting. how many ways to make white noise into a cymbal? fun stuff.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

stringsthings

i've got a layout and a build that's working nearly 100% ....  :icon_biggrin:

i'll be posting the layout and a soundclip tonight ... the tone/notes switch is incredibly handy ... with the parts that i had on hand, the frequency of the tone is somewhere between 700 and 800 Hz ...

thanks again, R.G. for providing the schematic .... it's a hassle having to plug the guitar in for testing out fuzz boxes ... ( BTW, a sine wave run through a simulated fuzz box sounds kind of nice  :icon_mrgreen: )

R.G.

I can't believe you guys let me get away with that. There's DC on the output. I left out a blocking cap to the output jack - which I have now corrected.  :icon_biggrin:

I'll upload the corrected page.

'Course, I got the chance to put in NEW errors, too.  :icon_lol:
R.G.

R.G.

R.G.

danielzink

Quote from: stringsthings on June 27, 2010, 12:28:01 PM
i've got a layout and a build that's working nearly 100% ....  :icon_biggrin:

i'll be posting the layout and a soundclip tonight ... the tone/notes switch is incredibly handy ... with the parts that i had on hand, the frequency of the tone is somewhere between 700 and 800 Hz ...

thanks again, R.G. for providing the schematic .... it's a hassle having to plug the guitar in for testing out fuzz boxes ... ( BTW, a sine wave run through a simulated fuzz box sounds kind of nice  :icon_mrgreen: )

My hero..

Thanks !

Dan

KazooMan

Wow!  This is great.  I have almost resorted to strumming with my feet so I have two hands to tweak the dials.  I am certain I have all the parts on hand except perhaps the proper IC.  

Thanks  R. G. !!!  :icon_razz:

Life is good.  I found the TL072.  It was a spare I bought for my Tap Tempo Tremolo build.  Forgot I had it.

R.G.

Quote from: KazooMan on June 27, 2010, 05:41:28 PM
Wow!  This is great.  I have almost resorted to strumming with my feet so I have two hands to tweak the dials.  I am certain I have all the parts on hand except perhaps the proper IC. 
In a pinch I'd use any dual opamp I had on the bench. It would probably work fine.
R.G.

stringsthings

and a short ( but exciting ) soundclip:

http://soundclick.com/share?=songid=9330932

at 0:54, echo and reverb are added to the "notes"

danielzink

boo hoo...poor me....

pcb or vero ?

;D

Thanks, Dan