A fake guitar for your test bench

Started by R.G., June 26, 2010, 02:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KazooMan

Thanks, Stringsthings.  I had started doing a layout while I was BBQ'ing some chicken.  The chicken won out (and was fabulous).  I returned and there was a layout waiting for me.

Thanks!  I will check out the layout versus the schematic and put it together.  I can put my shoes back on and quit strumming my guitar with my feet while I adjust pedals.

R.G.

Quote from: stringsthings on June 27, 2010, 07:32:58 PM
and a short ( but exciting ) soundclip:
Just a question. I notice the the "notes" are all quite short. Was it possible to make the notes ring for longer times, but still die out?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

That looks pretty handy. I use my GEO "Down and Dirty" oscillator just to verify if something is functional when I get it done, usually when I am building a batch of pedals for one of my clients. But for stuff I build for myself, I always take the finished circuit for a test drive afterwards by playing my guitar thru it. I guess there are those times when you are tweaking stuff where the "guitar" mode might come in handy, though.

I agree with RG, it seems like the "notes" decay extremely quickly. They are very staccato...

mattthegamer463

From that sound clip stringsthings posted, it sounds like knocking on a wooden block.  Is it any good for testing any pedals other than delay and reverb pedals?

frequencycentral

Sounds exactly like the old Boss Dr Rhythm rimshot. I have to build it for that reason.  :D
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Paul Marossy

Quote from: mattthegamer463 on June 28, 2010, 12:56:42 PM
From that sound clip stringsthings posted, it sounds like knocking on a wooden block.  Is it any good for testing any pedals other than delay and reverb pedals?

Yeah, something with a more realistic decay (like a guitar string) would be more useful.

R.G.

Let's see what we get back.

Sometimes it's tricky to set a ringing oscillator to ring just the right amount. I may have to add a fine tuning knob to get it to ring for up to about half a second. I did notice that mine is very fussy about the ringing time setting.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

stringsthings

Quote from: R.G. on June 27, 2010, 09:34:50 PM
I notice the the "notes" are all quite short. Was it possible to make the notes ring for longer times, but still die out?

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9334230

details of soundclip:

1) turning the length control from maximum ( constant tone ) to about 1:00 ... to get the longer notes ...

2) notes into a software fuzz box

3) notes into a software phase shifter

4) notes into a hardware octave divider ( that is older than my cat  :icon_mrgreen: )

Brymus

Yeah, this could be quite handy,thank you.
I think I will put it in the same enclosure as my "quick and dirty" test tone generator.
Bryan
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

R.G.

Quote from: stringsthings on June 28, 2010, 05:08:56 PM
1) turning the length control from maximum ( constant tone ) to about 1:00 ... to get the longer notes ...
Ah. That's better! I had something like that in mind, a ringing note, but which dies away in a reasonable time.

There is a slight buzz behind the note, even on the first section. Is that an artifact of the recording and playback mechanism, or does the thing actually have a slight buzz in the sound. The reason I ask is that mine didn't do that. I had a pretty much pure tone in all the decaying notes. I could turn up the gain so it would buzz, but mostly it was clean sounding.

R.G.

Cliff Schecht

R.G.

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on June 28, 2010, 10:38:55 PM
Looks a lot like my May 2010 submission if you ask me... :D
Hey, neat. I hadn't seen that one, but it's another good illustration of how flexible the Twin T can be.
R.G.

stringsthings

Quote from: R.G. on June 28, 2010, 08:12:41 PM

There is a slight buzz behind the note, even on the first section. Is that an artifact of the recording and playback mechanism, or does the thing actually have a slight buzz in the sound.....

my unit is sans volume control .... so the buzz is likely a product of taxing the recording software .... 

R.G.

Ah - OK, that makes sense. In any new design, I'm always aware I could have made a mistake either in the circuit or the drawing.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

Cliff Schecht

Quote from: R.G. on June 28, 2010, 11:03:35 PM
Quote from: Cliff Schecht on June 28, 2010, 10:38:55 PM
Looks a lot like my May 2010 submission if you ask me... :D
Hey, neat. I hadn't seen that one, but it's another good illustration of how flexible the Twin T can be.

Agreed! I use them quite often in both personal and professional designs. Simple, cheap and it works well.

Something I really want to start playing with is LC tonestacks in guitar amps. Seems like you could get a lot more range by using three pots in conjunction with LC networks. I haven't played with this at all and it's obviously not an original thought, but it seems like it hasn't been explored much (or at least not well documented). Hrmm..

Steve Mavronis

R.G. I have the perfect enclosure look for your fake guitar signal generator ;)

Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

R.G.

Um, well, duzzat come on Lake Placid Blue?

:icon_lol:
R.G.

Steve Mavronis

Quote from: R.G. on June 30, 2010, 11:54:18 PM
Um, well, duzzat come on Lake Placid Blue?
:icon_lol:

Actually you could do a Strat motif with one of your fabulous wooden enclosures and either paint it that color or add a pickguard with the chrome Strat jack too! It would be a Strat in a box!
 8)

Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

earthtonesaudio

Better add a Muzique Pickup Simulator on the output, if you're gonna go that far.

Cap

A simple, hopefully not stupid question..is it possible to modify the circuit so the sound frequency is controlled with only one pot?
Thanks! :)