Neutrik and DGS jacks- good quality?

Started by Alex C, September 29, 2003, 07:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex C

Hello.  I'm wondering about Neutrik and DGS jacks, both found in the Mouser catalog.  Are either of them of decent quality?  $2 apiece is too much for me to pay (Switchcraft).

Even after Dremeling off the switching tip of the Radio Shack jacks, they're very poor quality, and I'd like something a little nicer.  I've seen Neutrik mentioned as a minimum (as in "make sure you use decent quality jacks like Neutriks"), and I think Steve Daniels suggested to someone the DGS jacks if they didn't want to get Switchcrafts.  But he said it as though he was not familiar with them, like "perhaps you might try the DGS jacks from Mouser."  

Mouser Part #s:

Switchcraft 1/4" phone jack-   502-11         $2.00
Neutrik 1/4" phone jack-        568-NYS229  $0.92
DGS 1/4" phone jack-            161-1804      $0.79
[(All are mono, non-switching- (I use an adapter, so I don't need the stereo jack)]

Obviously, I'd like to use the cheapest that I can get away with.  Does anyone use these lower-priced jacks?  I'd love to hear how they hold up over time.  (I need to replace about three pedals with Radio Shack jacks that have gone bad even after doctoring them.  Don't buy them!)

Alex

SoundTech

Overall, Neutrik makes great stuff.  I use their 1/4" jacks because of the price.  Although I love Switchcraft quality, the Neutriks are a good bang for the buck.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))

Mike Burgundy

I don't know DGS, but Neutrik is really, really good. I actually prefer their jack plugs and XLR above anything I know, including Switchcraft.
Lets just say Switchcraft and Neutrik share the first place in connectors, AFAIC.
Enjoy the $2 price on a quality jack/plug, though. It's way less than what us Europeans pay (About 4-5 euros for Switchcraft, and the same or a little less for Neutrik)
The only thing I did not like as far as Neutrik is concerned is their speakon line, but they fixed that - they used to be somewhat wear-and-tear vulnerable, but they're fine now.

BillyJ

Neutrik is rock steady. I am even surprised they are cheaper than switchcraft.

Peter Snowberg

The Grateful Dead used Neutrik plugs exclusively.   :D  8) I have no idea about jacks.

Specific part#s are:
np2rc - right angle mono
np2c - straight mono
np3rc - right angle stereo

In case anybody wondered :?, for cable they used Belden #9271 (3 wire 124 ohm) and Belden #83393 (more flexable)

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Mike Nichting

I just bought 26 of the neutrik stereo jacks from Mouser at $.82 each.
They're only $1.08 to begin with compared to $2 switchcraft.

They have been great for me.
Part#:  568-NYS230  -Mouser.com

Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

smallbearelec

Alex--

I used DGS before I started buying Switchcraft wholesale. They are good value for money if you want the "open-frame" style and don't want to pay for Switchcraft. I have not used Neutrik, but they have a very good reputation. I will probably add some of these enclosed types to the stock list once I finish paying off this year's re-stocking.

Regards
SD

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

For PCB mount stereo switching jacks, I use Li Sheng. Never had one fail (out of over a thousand!).