tech21 XXL Distortion

Started by Talison, July 01, 2010, 12:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talison

Has anybody built this pedal, Tech21 XXL Distortion, from the Vero layout in the layouts gallery?  I am planning on building this one and I noticed that the diode value is missing.  Does anybody have any suggestions, or does anybody know the value of that component?

Thanks for any help!

madboy

Hey! It appears to be a protection diode... I used a(n) IN4001. I used this layout, and it has probably been the only one I've made that fired up with no problems! And, this pedal is UNGODLY loud! The WARP function is pretty subtle... I was actually considering trying to change this to a mid, or scoop control. It doesn't do metal, but maybe with a mid control... who knows? Let us know how it works out for you...

Talison

Thanks!!  I will try that one and see how it goes from there.  I will let you know how it turns out.

Talison

Just finished this build.  It IS ungodly "LOUD" !  You are right, the WARP knob doesn't do much, and on mine the DRIVE is pretty subtle as well until you get to the 3 o'clock position.  From 3 o'clock to max on the drive knob, to me, is the best sound.  Is that how yours turned out as well?  Any luck on your mid scoop idea or how to get more use out of the warp knob?  Thanks for your help!!

madboy

Hmmm... It has actually been a long time since I used it. I took it out of the enclosure (which I used for a wooly mammoth) and haven't used it since. It was really loud, though. I usually had the gain cranked as well. After my last post, I searched for a simple mid scoop mod, but couldn't seem to find it. I'm sure someone here on the forum can steer us in the right direction. I also seem to recall there was high end sizzle I wasn't too fond of... and yes, the tone control worked... oh, well. If you find a mid scoop mod, let me know! Maybe I will revive this beast...

edvard

Look at the sections marked "mid" in red here:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/WGTP/CMOSerizer.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
That's as simple a mid-cut as you're going to get, give it a shot.
I also just had a thought that a Big Muff type tone control will put a mid-scoop in for you as well.
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy