Enclosure for footswtich

Started by MediaMan09, July 06, 2010, 01:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MediaMan09

I am very much leaning toward this Hammond 1599KTSBK enclosure : http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1599KTS.pdf
for my FS3x and FS-5u workalikes.

Has anyone successfuly used one to confirm:

• whether or not it is deep enough to house a basic SPST switch for the top? I will measure tonight. Hopefully it wil be fine if placed closer to the back
  • whether or not iit will hold a 1/4" TRS stereo jack at the back. Its only 1" high, and I think I only need 1/4" for the jack, so I should be good there as well

jkokura

If only they made that in aluminum...

Jacob

MediaMan09

Quote from: jkokura on July 06, 2010, 02:11:55 PM
If only they made that in aluminum...

Jacob

I thought they did right here : http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg16.htm#10degree

( I am not 100% convinced the pic exactly mathes the product, but this pic does come up on 1456RL1BKBU searches )

tiges_ tendres

The aluminum is pretty thin on those.  I wouldnt mind using them for my own use, but I'm not sure how I would feel about putting circuits in them for other people to use.
Try a little tenderness.

MediaMan09

The only other close one I fouind is 1595EBK : http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg4.htm

Plenty of room to work there!

mattthegamer463

I have a couple of these that are made of extruded aluminum, the only problem is that a footswitch wouldn't fit comfortably (or even be able to get in there in the first place) without it being near the top of the slope.  Take a good look at the dimensions to make sure these are as practical as they really seem.

MediaMan09

Quote from: mattthegamer463 on July 06, 2010, 06:37:38 PM
I have a couple of these that are made of extruded aluminum, the only problem is that a footswitch wouldn't fit comfortably (or even be able to get in there in the first place) without it being near the top of the slope.  Take a good look at the dimensions to make sure these are as practical as they really seem.

For the gear I have now, its all at the 'bottom" of the slope !

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: MediaMan09 on July 06, 2010, 06:56:47 PM
Quote from: mattthegamer463 on July 06, 2010, 06:37:38 PM
I have a couple of these that are made of extruded aluminum, the only problem is that a footswitch wouldn't fit comfortably (or even be able to get in there in the first place) without it being near the top of the slope.  Take a good look at the dimensions to make sure these are as practical as they really seem.

For teh gear I ahve now, its all at the 'bottom" of the slope !

Yes, but those arent regular blue 3pdt switches like are commonly available.  Those are more likely soft switches, or actuators.  They usually fit in much smaller spaces than the more commonly found switches we mostly use.  If you have the skills to fab those pancak switches, then you totally should!
Try a little tenderness.

MediaMan09

Okay, hope this make sense.

I bought two Hammond 1595's, ie this shape....in black, about 8.5" wide:

SHould arrive in a day or two. These are to replace my temporary cases....one is for a 3-button footswitch, the other for 2-button footswitch

For the 3-button switch, my planned layout is starightforward, ie push-bottons are 2.5" apart and centred across the width:

For the 2-button switch (black cap, red cap), I am toying beween two configurations - ie wide spacing ( ie using same positions as far left and far right in the 3-button box)  or more centered spacing (same 2.5" spacing as the 3-button box). Any thoughts? I think the latter (narrower option) looks a bit more natural.

davent

Quote from: MediaMan09 on July 06, 2010, 02:49:08 PM
The only other close one I fouind is 1595EBK : http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg4.htm

Plenty of room to work there!

You do realize the 1595's are made from ABS plastic, not sure how they'll stand up to being trod upon.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

MediaMan09

Quote from: davent on July 07, 2010, 10:18:59 PM
You do realize the 1595's are made from ABS plastic, not sure how they'll stand up to being trod upon.

Yah I know, and it might not work out - part of my learning experience (!!) - but i remain hopeful ( aka naive??) as:
- its for home use only
- I am using momentary switches that dont need a lot of pressure to activate
- I can reinforce the box if needed
- while only a fraction of the strength of aluminum, ABS platstic is still descirbed as follows:"The advantage of ABS is that this material combines the strength and rigidity of the acrylonitrile and styrene polymers with the toughness of the polybutadiene rubber. The most important mechanical properties of ABS are impact resistance and toughness"

MediaMan09

The Hammond 1595 boxes were exactly what I expected. And no concerns re 'strength' - these things are pretty solid. I think I could even stand on them!

The finish is actually quite decent for plastic(!) .

I debated what to use for labels. I wanted something large to see white playing guitar.  Thought of all sorts of options from simple labels to elaborate templates with laminate overlays etc. but I was getting way ahead of myself. So I just drew something up with large fonts and placed over across the surface. Did the same for the 2-button switch as the enclosures have a small plastic "button" dead center that looks odd unless you drill it out. It was actually very handy for positioning switches, but looks ugly if there is no centre switch, so I wanted to cover it up.

I made a few rookie errors ( eg, let the soldering iron touch the case, used the wrong drill bits, scrathed up the surface by removing plastic earlier vs later, etc. etc), but its a learning experience .. and most important , it works and looks decent enough, and I had fun doing it. Havent smelled solder like that since I was a tenneager!

petemoore

80 free momentary SPST on when down types here.
  It regularly occurs to me to begin using them [with necessary circuitry] at any time.
  The desire for increased flexibility/features is certain, the reliability might take ''a minute'' [while I learn it] to catch up.
  Pretty sure Boss has 80 million of them in the field being rewarded with great test-feedback results.
  The circuits, one for input, one for output, x10 efx = 20 or so electro-bypass circuits, 10 momentary's...still seems like it'd be worth it to get it set up, many or one large board of Jfets like the ibanez's circuit.
  Many connectivity hardware piece is where I'd start if the pedal chain order has questions unanswered by solid logic or fairly extensive, individual 'swap position' tests with 'the rig.   

Convention creates following, following creates convention.