Boss ce-2 chorus volume jump, I DONT WANT IT!

Started by bluesjammin, July 14, 2010, 10:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesjammin

ive looked all over the net to find out how to mod this circuit to make the volume level when engaged. People complain about it but there is no mod to be found!
the pedal is so nice espesh after the speed/caps mod but i just hate the noticable vol jump when on stage. Ive already got a boost pedal!  >:(
any links or mod ideas????
what would u try??

petemoore

Find somewhere at/near the output/before the switch of course.
  See if there's an easy place to cut/splice, then use a pot 100k or so to find the setting, use fixed resistors to replace the resistances of between lugs 1/2, and lugs 2 and 3.
  Cut, splice wire from circuit side to pot lug, wiper is output to other side of splice, last lug goes to ground.
  Otherwise tack a flexible wire to a 500k pot, the other lug to ground, find the sweet volume spot, remove/measure [without re-adjusting] replace with nearest value fixed resistor.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bluesjammin

thanks for reply.
i am super newb so that all sounds a bit overwhelming to me  :icon_confused:
If someone could show me what to do on the schematic i might have a better grasp on it. even better a pic of circuit board.
If anyone is willing to try it id love if u could post a pic or 2 or step by step instructions.
thanks.

Govmnt_Lacky

If memory serves me right.... Tonepad has a volume output potentiometer mod that allows you to adjust the output of the Boss chorus circuit. Try looking there.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Mark Hammer

The stock Boss CE-2 uses a FET to connect or lift the delay signal.  The dry signal is always in circuit, as are the input buffer stage and the output mixer stage.  Engaging the effect in the actual commercial pedal shold not increase volume level.  If anything, it would result in a slight decrease in volume from the cancellations/notches.

So, I can only assume you are talking abot a homebrew version of this, and most likely the Tonepad layout.

if that is the case, consider dropping the feedback resistor in the last op-amp stage, labelled R24, from its current value of 47k, down to something like 43k.  You can do that by tacking a 560k resistor in parallel with R24 on the copper side of the board.

zombiwoof

If this is a real Boss CE-2, try the Bossarea Forum, those guys are fanatics about Boss stuff.

http://www.bossarea.com/forum/

I've seen posts mentioning the volume boost on the CE-2, so you are not alone in this.  I bought a CE-2B, which has an added control, it's basically the same as the CE-2 except for one resistor, I use it stock for guitar, even though it was meant for bass.

Al

Mark Hammer

Actually, there are two differences between the CE-2 and CE-2B.  The latter is intended to permit subtlety in bass chorusing.  So, it includes the variable wet-mix level that dials back from 50/50 dry-wet mix to 85/15 (dry/wet), and also changes the value of capacitor C14 from .033uf to .012uf in order to reduce the audible bass pitch wobble.

Personally, I would say that if the OP is a "super newb", in his words, then it may be wise not to attempt the mod/s.  Original CE-2 pedals are highly desirable, and the board may be a bit cluttered for a novice to mod.  Wouldn't want to damage a pedal that can be sold for a decent price.

zombiwoof

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 15, 2010, 03:46:19 PM
Actually, there are two differences between the CE-2 and CE-2B.  The latter is intended to permit subtlety in bass chorusing.  So, it includes the variable wet-mix level that dials back from 50/50 dry-wet mix to 85/15 (dry/wet), and also changes the value of capacitor C14 from .033uf to .012uf in order to reduce the audible bass pitch wobble.

Personally, I would say that if the OP is a "super newb", in his words, then it may be wise not to attempt the mod/s.  Original CE-2 pedals are highly desirable, and the board may be a bit cluttered for a novice to mod.  Wouldn't want to damage a pedal that can be sold for a decent price.

I mentioned it had an extra control, I was trying to be brief about it.  Other than that extra control, the resistor is the only difference.  I didn't find it necessary to change the resistor, as it works fine with guitar as is.  Others have modded theirs, by either changing the resistor or putting in a switch to change between the two resistor values or I guess you can put a pot in there.  I was prepared to do the resistor mod, but found I liked the sound as is.  And it has that extra mix control, which actually makes it better IMO than the CE-2, and I got the CE-2B for much less than CE-2's are going for.

I agree that he shouldn't attempt any mods if he doesn't really know what he is doing, but I just thought I'd mention that the slight volume boost (or perceived boost) has been mentioned by others in regard to the CE-2.  I would just live with it, if it were my pedal.

Al

Mark Hammer

Quote from: zombiwoof on July 15, 2010, 03:58:57 PM
I mentioned it had an extra control, I was trying to be brief about it. 
No problem.  I just try to say things with more words whenever there is an opportunity. :icon_wink:

In theory, one could have an additional switching FET (and associated components) that is also turned on whenever the effect is engaged.  Imagine we have a second resistor in series with the drain and source of the added JFET, and that JFET/resistor combination is placed in parallel with R24.  The JFET/resistor combo will present a high-enough parallel resistance that it won't affect the gain of that op-amp stage very much, if at all.  When the effect is engaged, however, and the JFET is turned on, that second resistor now becomes close to the total parallel resistance with R24. and drops the effective feedback resistance, lowering the gain of the stage.

So, let's say the drain-source resistance, in an off state, is 10M, and in an on state is 20 ohms.  We place a 560k resistor in series with that, and stick the whole thing in parallel with R24 (47k).  When off (in bypass), 10.56M in parallel with 47k gets us an effective resistance of 46.8k, which will have negligible effect on stage gain.  When the JFET goes low, the effective parallel resistance now becomes 560.02k, which now gets us a combined value of 43.3k, and an audible, but not dramatic, drop in stage gain and output level.

Perhaps just as important, the gain of that stage is restored to normal in the bypass mode.

dmc777

I also have problems with the volume jump with my original CE2. It's really not so much as a volume jump, though there is one, but there seems to be a large spike in the mids....similar to a TS9. So, my CE2 is too loud and doesn't have a level control, my DEM has a volume drop and doesn't have a level knob....so either you put them in a paralell TB loop with level, blend, and polarity switch which I'm working on or find some way to mod them. I wouldn't mind modding my DEM....I just can't find the damn schematic anywhere! :icon_evil: All I can find is the schematic for the vintage one with the Reticon chips. I've even tweaked all the trimpots and still didn't help.