News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

love the mix of etch and hammer....very cool.  8)

kev, i followed your tips, you will be hearing from my solicitor soon.... :icon_twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

stallik

kev, i followed your tips, you will be hearing from my solicitor soon.... :icon_twisted:

Why Rob, does he need personal instruction in the technique? ;D

Pettol - love that logo. There's so much going on in it yet it looks simple. Pi over 2 and the symbols. Really neat job
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

hylandren

Wow, another beauty Pettol!
Still can't get over how you and dead astronaut get such thin fine lettering to come out so cleanly on your etches.

Pettol

Benoi31

Quote from: Pettol on September 14, 2016, 08:25:40 AM
My latest etch. Combining reversed etch and hammer paint turned out to be quite tricky. I'm satisfied with the result, but it's not perfect (I think you can see it on the knob labels).

And the usual mess inside.

Wow... I think it IS perfect!
Really clean, in and out!

lars-musik

Pettol, your enclosures are beyond me... You must have some kind of laser or ion beam contraption hidden in your cellar.

Nevertheless I am going to show my latest results here.

The etches are always great to my eye but after I realized that an all-aluminum pedal board is of no use on a stage I decided to add some colour. And at that point my pedals always start to look heavily-used.

But I got used to it and now I even define my style accordingly. 

VidSicious

Quote from: bluebunny on September 14, 2016, 02:48:58 AM
I like the way you think, Kevin. >:) Turmeric can be so colourful!
I sprayed my white knobs with glow in the dark paint and out a UV led instead of standard. Beautiful!

slashandburn

Pettol those are some incredible etches. I wouldn't be brave enough to try to reverse etch with such a fine font. It looks insanely good. The hammered paint just takes it to another level.

Lars, 1590A builds are the stuff of nightmares for me. A "1590A reverse etch with 3 pots and 2 switches" sounds like and absolute ordeal.

Not sure I shared my last successful reverse etch here. It's not perfect but I was fairly happy with it. Which is saying something as I'm usually a miserable bastard.

Darkpoem9

darron

Quote from: Darkpoem9 on December 06, 2016, 10:07:44 PM
/Users/atheus/Desktop/IMG_7361.JPG

you'll have to post a link to a photo on the internet. that address is on your computer.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

bloxstompboxes

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

italianguy63

I am the Anti-Russ (Cozybuilder)--

He keeps going smaller, and I keep going bigger!!

After about a year and a half hiatus.. took some time and started work again.  Finished this one today and have 3 more on the bench nearing completion!

Happy New Year! 

Mark
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

ch1naski

Clean and beautiful job.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Mockingbird wish me luck.

italianguy63

Thanks!  It has a little shadowing around the artwork.. and a scar (scratch) too.. but, it turned out acceptable.  Considering it is the first etch I have done in about 2 years.. I'm happy!  It was also hard sanding out this big enclosure.. I think it is a 1590X?  Something like that.

Good to be creating again.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

stringsthings

Looks very good.  Are you using some kind of sanding block?  Makes sanding enclosures a lot more effective.

italianguy63

Actually-- I use a belt sander to get them down "near" flat now.. it speeds things up.  Then I use a sanding block with 220 or so grit paper to finish it.  Even with a belt sander, this box took a couple hours to get flat.

And the shadowing is my fault too.. I processed this about 3 minutes of etch.. Usually, I go about 2 minutes... But, I was trying for a good deep etch.  My fault.  It is all good as this is a 1st prototype of a new build/project.  I'm happy with it.

Cozybuilder

Nice, clean, well-done etch. Looks fantastic Mark  8)
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

duck_arse

nice to see you back, mark.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

asreis85

After 3 failed attempts, I was finally able to make my first etched enclosure.

I first try with NaOH but wasn't getting any good results. Either the etching was too much or not enough. So I decided to try ferric chloride and it was much easier. I'm still learning how to etch properly, and I know I should probably give this one a good shine, but I really like the "dirty" look of it. Afterall, it's a fuzz! And no, no knobs at least until I find one that goes well with the pedal.

The pedal itself is a Fuzz Factory clone, the Zombii Fuzz from MadBeans, with 2 AC128s. Any tips you guys might have would be appreciated.