Any easy to build chorus pedals?

Started by hall1k, July 19, 2010, 04:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hall1k

I'm in need of a chorus pedal, but don't really want to buy one. Are there any fairly simple chorus pedals I can make? Something about as simple as the Fuzz Factory, as I'm currently working on that one.

jkokura

There's not likely one that will be as simple as the fuzz factory. The Simplest I know of is likely the Small Clone (EHX clone of the Small Clone), and is available as a PCB project from Tonepad. The other one that's popular is the CE-2 which is an upcoming build from me. A very customizable project and a PCB is available from Madbean Pedals, and Tonepad has a board for the CE-2 as well.

I think BYOC has a kit for a chorus now, and that might be much easier because all the parts come with it in a kit.

Jacob

hall1k

Okay thanks. Is it too complex to do on perfboard?

blueduck577

if you are looking for a simple chorus that can be easily perfed, I would stay away from the small clone or ce-2.  The most simple is probably the Zombie chorus.  Relatively low parts count and I believe there are perf layouts made already.

Mark Hammer

Chorus pedals, or ANY effect that uses a high frequency clock, is very sensitive to layout.  Some layouts can be a cause of many problems.  If you ask for something the same degree of difficulty as a Fuzz Factory, that suggests you aren't ready to perf one on your own.  At least not yet.

And as "simple" as the Zombie is, thjere are a number of additions one needs to make to the basic in order to minimize noise, that it eventually becomes as complex as a Small Clone or CE-2.

Quite simply, I would NOT recommend a chorus of any kind as a project for someone who has fewer than 10 pedals under their belt.  Too many things to go wrong.

jasperoosthoek

I made the Small Clone some 8 years ago. It was my second stomp box. I used the PCB layout of tonepad.com but did it on perfboard. It took me the whole weekend, probably about 15 hours straight, checking and double checking my connections all of the time. Afterwards I probably slept for 10 hours.

I fully agree with Mark Hammer that you should not build it as a second project on perfboard. I am amazed that it actually worked the first time. If it hadn't I would have banged my head into the door :). From hindsight, and about 10 stompboxes and many other projects later I realized that it was madness. I wouldn't build such a project on perfboard anymore, even though I'm much more experienced.

I can advise you to just buy the PCB from tonepad.com. Save yourself the hassle. I populated two of their PCBs (Rebote Delay 2.5, MXR Noise Gate). The quality is ok and they work well. The Small Clone would have probably taken me an hour or so...
[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com

deadastronaut

yep i agree with mark hammers comment:

i built the zombie chorus a while back...i had to do anti an clicking mod, and i also had

to put a 9v regulator in it, it would not chorus on a power supply (daisy chain) but would on a battery..strange..

but it eventually worked ok..after some grief though!!!!!... :icon_twisted:

just my 2 pence worth!........rob.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

frequencycentral

The Clari(not) Cubed will do faux chorus at a pinch.  It's an easy build compared to a true chorus. I did add a chorusy soundclip to the Clari(not) thread.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Renegadrian

I made a ZC on Vero, layout is in my gallery!!! Nice pedal, and yeah the parts count is quite low to be a chorus (apart the 4 ICs, res and caps are a small number...)
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!