Tube Reamer Advice Needed

Started by Chris S, July 24, 2010, 02:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris S

Hey all I've built a ROG tube reamer which I love. The only problem is it's quite noisy. I've tried other ICs apart from a 4558 but they are only a touch less noisy and don't sound as good as the 4558 I'm using. So, seeing it's quite a simple design I'm thinking of doing the whole thing again from scratch. What I'd like to know is how can I make it as quite as possible. What Caps to use, if I'm using a Vero layout making sure the 9v strip isn't near particular parts of the pedal etc... Also the pedal is in a shielded die cast metal box but shares the box with a boost, tremolo and tuner will that make a difference? Any advice greatly appreciated. Ta!

Cheers!

GibsonGM

Search for posts on 'noise', Chris.  You'll find a lot of tips that have been passed down!   First, I'd say proper power supply filtering, shielded input/output wiring, and a good ground scheme are going to give you the least noise.   Then layout - parts in the right places, and wiring not crossing each other.   Wires with lower signals separate from those with higher levels, etc.

My money is on that if you tie all the grounds to your circuits together (star grounding, search for that too) you will experience less noise....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

petemoore

Noise: somethingin the signal path.
 Many points of input here.
 guitar pickup, wiring, cable.
 Boost times boost = however many 10x or 100x boost that is.
 Boost + Reamer [also boosts] = noise, double boosted.
 What is the power supply, it has BFCapacitor on it ?
 Also see:
 Regulated power supply LM7812 or LM 780_.
 Floating supply voltage, GEO, Spyder.
 Power supplies for effect: GEO.

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/Power-supplies/powersup.htm
 Simple 9v battery is an industry standard for ripple free power supply. Recommended for testing PS ripple: using battery as a comparator to determine if power supply is also [unfortunately] a signal input source.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.