Need some technical feedback on a new project idea

Started by studiostud, July 24, 2010, 04:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studiostud

Hey guys,

So I have a new idea for a synth/noisemaker project and I need some feedback on how I can go about making it work.

Someone gave me a really old personal data computer called the Mattel Electronics Aquarius to gut for parts.  Here's a pic: 

The keyboard uses rubber tactile buttons much like the newer Apple keyboards.  What I'd like to do is create a simple tone generator where the pitch of the tone is control by resistance and each key on the keyboard is connected to a different resistor value to yield a different pitch.  My idea is to create a PCB that covers the whole keyboard area and has copper pads underneath each button which will make electrical contact with the pad when it is depressed.  From there I could trace each pad to their respective resistor, but from there my knowledge runs out. 

I guess my first question is what is a good simple tone generator layout?  I don't need anything fancy.  I can add effects later and I don't even need something that can create multiple tones like a chord.  (at least at this point...  :icon_twisted: )

The next question then is how can I incorporate the keyboard into the layout.  Technically I can have the output from each key to a resistor.  Could I take each of the resistor outputs and connect them all in parallel with a single output going to the "pitch pot" output pad on the PCB and then take the "pitch pot" input and somehow run that signal to each button in parallel and only push one button at a time?  my logic tells me that this won't work but I'm having trouble coming up with other ideas of how to do it. 

Any feedback would be extremely helpful!     Thanks!

Jeff
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

studiostud

sweet.  thank man.  I figured I'd probably have to venture outside of the stompbox forum for this one.  But I knew some of you would be interested in the challenge...  ::) :icon_lol:
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.