BOSS GURUS! Bad switch or?

Started by BillyJ, September 30, 2003, 12:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyJ

Hey everyone.
I have a Boss phaser PH-1r.
When I hit the switch too fast it doesn't work.
When actuated just a little slower it works everytime.
Do I just need a new swich or should I keep poking around?
Thanks for any ideas.

Rob Strand

If you are pressing the spring loaded pedal the you might not be pressing it down properly.  Try pressing the small switch on  the board - and make sure you are indeed pressing it all the way in.  There might not be anything wrong.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

BillyJ

Yep I checked that first thing. Same deal a slow attck on the switch works and a fast one doesn't switch.
Does this sound like a mechanical failure of the switch?
I am just need to get another switch and try eh?
I just thought perhaps this was a common thing with Boss pedal or some such. I haven't had too much experience with them. AT least not in the sense of trying to fix.
Thanks for the input!!

Rob Strand

QuoteDoes this sound like a mechanical failure of the switch?

It's possible a mechanical failure could cause this behaviour.  Under normal circumstances the attack on the Boss circuit is quite rapid.  There is a release time before you can press it again but that is quite short as well.

QuoteI am just need to get another switch and try eh?

Well that would be a good test, perhaps temporarily solder a cheap push button across the existing switch and test is with finger presses.

Quotecommon thing
I'm not aware of a common problem like that.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

BillyJ

Took it apart and tried about a hundred times jumping it and it worked everytime. I am off to replace the switch :O)
Thanks everyone!!