tip, sleeve, ring?

Started by mhartington, July 25, 2010, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.Mike

I believe this is the NMJ6HC-S.

If you have one of these in front of you, you can actually see the connections being made as you insert the connector. You can also use a multimeter and a TRS cable to confirm what is connected to what. Back to front, right to left (in that image), it's tip ring sleeve.

This is a switched jack. There are actually another set of lugs on the other side, which are the switched lugs. When there is no plug inserted, the tip lug makes contact with the switched tip lug, the ring lug makes contact with the switched ring lug, and the sleeve lug makes contact with the switched sleeve lug. When you insert the plug, the plug itself lifts the little metal tab when it makes contact, and breaks the connection between each lug and their corresponding switched lug.

:)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

Ronsonic

If I tell you which, you'll forget. If I show you how to figure it out, you can never forget.

Keeping it in order helps Tip, Ring, Sleeve, TRS is the abbreviation. Now look at the jack, the contact furthest from the nut will pretty obviously touch the tip. Go from there.
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

petemoore

I couldn't be as sure as you can.
  The DMM, a mono 1/4'' plug, the stereo jack...then the tests of everything, under all conditions [plug in/plug out]...see what connects, remember there is a connection between the Jack sleeve/PLUGsleeve/ and JAck ring when they all touch.
  Some 'stereo jacks also switch the tip-contact-leaf to a ground leaf when the plug isn't separating them [pushing the tip contact 'over' so the almost parallel ground contact gets a small distance from the tip-spring.
  Other wiring assignments and stuff means it's best to find out if the switch does exactly what you need [and nothing more that'd matter.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.