Source for 1/4" / 6.35mm jacks (aus)

Started by chromesphere, August 01, 2010, 11:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hi all,

Having a bit of trouble finding a source for the un-enclosed 1/4" stereo and mono jacks.  I'm in australia, one my local electronics shop stocks them, good quality, but they are a bit expensive at $2.20 each:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4c563c9600759896273fc0a87e0106a8/Product/View/P1266

I have also tried these from ebay, which are cheaper, but unfortunately the quality is rather poor:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/25-Audio-Jack-6-35mm-1-4-Plug-Mono-Socket-w-Switch-/220633609246?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item335ec9b41e

If i had to choose between the two above, id probably go with dick smith electonics, as they are good quality. I suppose, i'm just looking for something, somewhere in the middle of the 2.

What other options are there though?   Would any of you kind fellows care to share your source for these?  Please feel free to suggest international online stores, i will research the delivery side of things.

(thanks  ;))
CS
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

composition4

I'm in Aus too... In the past I''ve ordered:
http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=2_64&products_id=254

65c (US dollars) each and no issues... in fact they're quite slim so cramming them into a box is really easy..

Shipping wasn't too much if I recall correctly (but I did order a whole bunch of other stuff too) and John's a good guy to deal with.

Jonathan

jbgron

greaser_au

I've always found that the open jacks readily available out here to have very wide tolerances, leading to sloppy fit & noise, but I haven't bought anything like this lately- the last one I bought in this form factor was the 'real thing' i.e. a switchcraft. If you find the DSE ones are fine, Jaycar are an option also, but unfortunately the price is similar.

david

chromesphere

hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jonathan, i will look into your suggestion. See if the dollars stack up.

Jbgron,  I have bought from radioparts before and found their jacks to be good quality. Its a bit of drive for me, but might have to make a special trip i think.

David, the jacks from DSE and radioparts i have found to be good quality.  If you find those not good enough, stay away from the ones on ebay!  Terrible.  Cheap materials.  Hey, you pay for what you get i guess!
Unfortunately Jaycar dont have the stereo open type, although they do have the mono type, and the quality is just as good as radio parts and DSE.

Whichever option i go, im going to stock up, 30+ of mono and stereo.  I find sourcing these a complete pain.

(thanks again).
CS
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

zombiwoof

Quote from: chromesphere on August 03, 2010, 12:38:00 AM
hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jonathan, i will look into your suggestion. See if the dollars stack up.

Jbgron,  I have bought from radioparts before and found their jacks to be good quality. Its a bit of drive for me, but might have to make a special trip i think.

David, the jacks from DSE and radioparts i have found to be good quality.  If you find those not good enough, stay away from the ones on ebay!  Terrible.  Cheap materials.  Hey, you pay for what you get i guess!
Unfortunately Jaycar dont have the stereo open type, although they do have the mono type, and the quality is just as good as radio parts and DSE.

Whichever option i go, im going to stock up, 30+ of mono and stereo.  I find sourcing these a complete pain.

(thanks again).
CS

I'm not sure you can categorically say "stay away from the ones on Ebay".  There are numerous good jacks sold on Ebay, including Switchcraft, Neutrik, etc.  You just have to know which are the good ones, and which are cheap junk.

Al

greaser_au

Quote from: chromesphere on August 03, 2010, 12:38:00 AM

CS,

thanks for the comment, as I said it's been a while since I bought anything like that (other than 1/4 right angle mono or 'pro grade' plugs) from those sources, sounds like it's time to look again!!

david