Off board wiring for 2 pedals in 1 box?

Started by itchyfingers, August 02, 2010, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchyfingers

I think the proper term for it is wiring "in series", but I could be mistaken, and couldn't find it using the search function. 

Essentially, what I would like to do is wire up two pedals in one enclosure - like an OD with a boost.  1 input jack, 1 output jack, 2 circuit boards, and 2 switches (1 switch for each circuit).  Does anyone have a diagram as to how I would go about doing this?  Am I overthinking it :icon_redface:?

anchovie

Quote from: itchyfingers on August 02, 2010, 07:19:11 PM
Am I overthinking it :icon_redface:?

Yes. Take the wire that would normally go to the first effect's output jack and connect it directly to the point on the second effect's switch that would normally come from its input jack. Both effects will share the same power and ground from a single DC socket/battery snap.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

boogietube

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

itchyfingers

chumbox

Not to rehash this great thread but I would like to have 2-3 pedals in one box but I don't even need a switch.  Can I build them all in serial on one vero or otherwise can I just wire output of one to the in of the other and so on?

In short 3 effects, 1 in, 1 out, 1 dc jack and no switch at all?

Thanks
DO

amptramp

Quote from: chumbox on February 10, 2012, 08:35:41 PM
Not to rehash this great thread but I would like to have 2-3 pedals in one box but I don't even need a switch.  Can I build them all in serial on one vero or otherwise can I just wire output of one to the in of the other and so on?

In short 3 effects, 1 in, 1 out, 1 dc jack and no switch at all?

Thanks
DO

You may be able to simplify your circuitry a bit.  Most pedals are designed to work from or into any other pedal with ground-referecnced signals and this is done using large output coupling capacitors.  But if you have a design where one effect always feeds another, you may be able to eliminate the output coupling capacitors, which can be a significant failure point and life-limiting mechanism.  Just feed the output of one pedal directly from the op amp output to the smaller capacitor at the input of the next stage.  No need for resistors to eliminate popping becausaae there is no switch.