NEW PRODUCT: Taptation Tap Tempo controller

Started by aron, August 09, 2010, 03:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker

Marcvv

I was checking the powersupply that I use to power the PT80 with taptation and found out ii is pushing the limits of what I have now.

I have the PT80 powered through a LT1054 (9 volt to 18 volt doubler) that can give 100ma. I power the taptation from the 5 volt rails at the PT 80 now. I know the PT 80 draws approx. 35 ma according to the schematic info.

How much would the taptation draw in this configuration with the digital pot, two indication leds for the tempo and division?

I am guessing that I am drwaing more now then the LT1054 can supply and that I would be better of setting up a seperate voltage regulator to 5 volt straight from my powersupply??

Any ideas?

Marc

The Tone God

Great work guys for the layouts and reports!

In the next few weeks I'll start posting articles the first being different ways to select tempo divisions.

Quote from: gitaar0 on September 13, 2010, 09:37:36 AM
How much would the taptation draw in this configuration with the digital pot, two indication leds for the tempo and division?

The TapTation controller itself pulls around 1mA. The digital pot is less then 1mA. So those two in itself do not pull much current. The tempo LEDs are the big current draws. You will have to calculate the current on those yourself based on the current limiting resistor you selected but most LED's specs top out at 20mA.

Andrew

Marcvv

Quote from: The Tone God on September 13, 2010, 03:41:32 PM
Great work guys for the layouts and reports!

In the next few weeks I'll start posting articles the first being different ways to select tempo divisions.

Quote from: gitaar0 on September 13, 2010, 09:37:36 AM

The TapTation controller itself pulls around 1mA. The digital pot is less then 1mA. So those two in itself do not pull much current. The tempo LEDs are the big current draws. You will have to calculate the current on those yourself based on the current limiting resistor you selected but most LED's specs top out at 20mA.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I will start by checking how much my leds draw and see if I can bring that down.

Great project to be working on and well done!!

Thanks, Marc

Scott Swartz

I am experimenting with coupling the Taptation and the PT-80 onto a single PCB, and hope to make this project available soon via General Guitar Gadgets. 

I have tested on the breadboard all the functional blocks I am going to use and am finishing the PCB.  It will have some very interesting features and address some issues I have seen discussed on tap tempo pedals, one in particular how to go between the tap and knob settings.

With the amount of features, pots (5), and switches (5) it will need the 1590DD enclosure.

I still use the very first PT-80 for my pedal steel rig, designed and built in early 2002, hard to believe its been that long.

Scott Swartz

Marcvv

Quote from: Scott Swartz on September 14, 2010, 04:46:38 PM
I am experimenting with coupling the Taptation and the PT-80 onto a single PCB, and hope to make this project available soon via General Guitar Gadgets. 

I have tested on the breadboard all the functional blocks I am going to use and am finishing the PCB.  It will have some very interesting features and address some issues I have seen discussed on tap tempo pedals, one in particular how to go between the tap and knob settings.

With the amount of features, pots (5), and switches (5) it will need the 1590DD enclosure.

I still use the very first PT-80 for my pedal steel rig, designed and built in early 2002, hard to believe its been that long.

Scott Swartz

Hi Scott,

I have been using the PT80 for sevreal years on my pedalboard and it is one of my favourite delays. Great project, Thanks!

As you might have read I have been experimenting with the PT80/taptation combination a bit now and I think it would sure make a great project.

I have them both installed in a C type (119x93x56,5mm) enclosure wich is just slightly deeper then the regular BB type (119x93,5x34mm) that is mostly used by everyone. (sorry for using these enclosure names as I do not recall the regular hammond types at this moment).

My PT80 has an added effectsloop. I use 4 pots (delay time (wich is replaced by the taptation delay time), feedback, modulation depth and mix) and 4 switches (timescale, double time, pwm, effectsloop), 1 momentary tap tempo footswitch, 1 bypass footswitch and 3 leds (timescale, double tempo, bypass). I am sure that with a clever designed PCB it would fit in the BB enclosure

This way it works great and I can use most available options. I like switches for time scale and double tempo. I also considered a rotary switch for that but that would make certain time divisions harder accessible ( probably true the other way around too).
I have been playing with the idea of adding a second delay board that would have the base time going while the other board would have the time division. I guess I would need a second tatption for that but it would create a very strong delay pedal. Maybe that is something worth checking out.

I am curious how others are working with the taptation but untill now there are not many posters yet.

Thanks, Marc

au_loki

Here you go - a vero only 17 x 10 with and without PWM also with voltage regulation.
Unverified at the moment as I am out of time but let me know how it goes. Later, au_loki

Beo

Will there be more taptation chip sets available for order in the future? It looks out of stock at the store, and I couldn't find it on tonegod's website.

The Tone God

Quote from: Beo on September 17, 2010, 09:54:16 AM
Will there be more taptation chip sets available for order in the future? It looks out of stock at the store, and I couldn't find it on tonegod's website.

Hey folks.

Sorry I've been chained to the soldering iron lately.

I sent out a shipment of TapTation controllers earlier this week. They should be in Aron's hands any day now.

Andrew

jkokura

Oh good. I want to try adding this to my PT80.

jacob

au_loki

Re: Vero layout - whoops found some clangers in my layout. Will fix and post again. Later au_loki

YouAre

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if we could get this to work with a dual pt2399 delay setup? There's two applications I had in mind. Two pt2399's in series, to get double the delay time (more cleanly than doubling the delay time pot), or to have to entirely separate delay pedals to create a "multi-head" type setup.

I was thinking that the taptation's pins 8 9 and 10 could be buffered to feed two different digital pots. This way we're controlling two p2399's at the same time.

And if you wanted to stagger the delay times, i guess you could always add a pot in series with the digital pot for one of the pt2399's to add some delay time.

So do you think the taptation chip can feed multiple delay pots if buffered properly?

jkokura

I think I worked out a PCB layout for etching - I don't etch, so it's not verified, I just don't know how to export this from eagle in a format someone else can etch - anyone able to point me in the right direction for that?

Jacob

au_loki

OK - my vero layout at the top should be good. 
But the bottom one should have the bottom tag on the Tempo Scale switch going to Vcc (bottom vero line) not Pin 6 of IC2 and the 100K going to Pin 13 of IC1 should be 1K. Also whack a 100K across the top two tags of the Tempo Scale switch (GND and wire off to Pin 12). I'm doing the final soldering and will let you know how it goes. Later au_loki

au_loki

Just looked again and the top vero should have a 1K (not 100K) going to IC1 pin 13 - sorry about chief! Later au_loki :icon_redface:

au_loki

Just finished soldering it up and working fine. Great job TTG.
Will post corrected layout in the next few days. Later au_loki

Marcvv

I have a strange problem with the taptation.

I have used the perfboard layout as posted a few posts back.
The taption works but it draws around 150 ma.

The regulator I used (78L05) gets hot.

I guessed that there was something wrong in my build and checked and double checked (and again) and reflowed it.
I could not find the problem, so I made a new build with the same chipset. Same problem. It works but it draw around 150 ma.

Maybe somebody can look at my layout and see if I made a mistake that I am still not seeing??

Thanks, Marc

Marcvv

au_loki

Finished soldering up the bottom layout and getting good resistance measurements so now verified.

Here is the new layout with the corrections as follows:
1. IC1 Pin 13 100K resistor now 1K for both layouts
2. Tempo Scale Input switch now has bottom lug to Vcc - Bottom layout only
3. Tempo Scale Input switch now has 100K across top 2 lugs - Bottom layout only

Let me know how you go.
Later au_loki

Marcvv

Quote from: gitaar0 on September 19, 2010, 11:02:38 AM
I have a strange problem with the taptation.

I have used the perfboard layout as posted a few posts back.
The taption works but it draws around 150 ma.

The regulator I used (78L05) gets hot.

I guessed that there was something wrong in my build and checked and double checked (and again) and reflowed it.
I could not find the problem, so I made a new build with the same chipset. Same problem. It works but it draw around 150 ma.

Maybe somebody can look at my layout and see if I made a mistake that I am still not seeing??

Thanks, Marc

Bump.

It looks like my tempo scale and my double time part of the taptation is not working anymore. Led indication of both tempo clock and scale time is working.
The double tempo is stuck in double time and the time scale is stuck in its middle or fastest tempo (hard to tell from the blincking leds).

This would suggest a short form pin 11 to ground but when I remove the taptation there is no continuity from the pin 11 socket position to ground.
Is the taptation fried??

Voltage readings:

Taptation
pin 1  5.00 volt
pin 2 4.84 volt
pin 3 0.12 volt
pin 4 4.40 volt
pin 5 2.40 volt
pin 6 3.42 volt
pin 7 4.80 volt
pin 8 4.98 volt
pin 9 0.03 volt