Trouble at the Airport??

Started by trad3mark, August 09, 2010, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chugs

I've carried numerous pedals of all sizes and types both in my carry on and check n luggage countless times without problems. Wahs, whammy's, fuzzes, you name it! I even carried a Pro tools Digi 002 rack onto a plane under my arm once!  :icon_mrgreen:
Occasionally I'll get asked to explain what they are but once I tell them they are guitar pedals they send me on my way. I've even had a few interesting chats about music gear with airport staff. Seems a lot of them play guitar!  :icon_wink:

caress

just bring em along.  it's never really a hassle... honestly.

differo

I flew to NYC couple of months ago (from Europe) took some pedals (that I built) to a buddy of my that lives there. No problems whatsoever. From NYC I bought and brought home: Deluxe Telecaster guitar, TC Polytune, Dunlop WahWah, e-bow, Seymour Duncan Pickup, Pedal-bag, one BIG bag with a lot of goodies from pedalpartsplus (with all kind of electronic components that I ordered there in order to skip the customs and shipping costs) and some other stuff can't remember - no problems at all. So I would say you're safe! :) 
My youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeToneful

Rebote2.5,MXR dist+,DrBoogie,BSIAB2,Ross Compressor&Phaser,MXR EnvFilt &Noise Gate,TS808,Condor CabSim,SansampGT2,Fraverb,Small Clone,TremLune,ValveCaster

mac

In 2008 I bought a Valve Jr in Palma de Mallorca just before taking a plane to Buenos Aires.
Since it is less than 10kg I had no trouble boarding the plane with it (But you can carry delicate stuff like surf boards above 10kg into the cabin if you want).
Instead of being suspicious, the officer at the x-ray scanning machine asked me how loud it was, what kind of tubes it has and how much did I pay for it!!! I bet he bought one.
In 2009 I bought a couple of Boss pedals and took them with me, no questions at all.
I'm in Palma now and I´m wondering what to buy this year  :icon_question:

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Mark Hammer

As people travelling on Sept 10, 2001 can attest, you can never tell what's going to happen to airport security procedures between today and tomorrow.  As many of the people HERE have attested, there is considerable latitude and variation about airport security procedures from place to place, some of it surprisingly lax.

I guess it's up to you whether you want to plan around the best possible scenario, worst case scenario, or something in between.  Some folks who work in airport security and baggae screening are cool and have enough flexibility to be so, some are dealing with high pressure situations and supervisors and stick rigidly to the rules a lot of the time, and some are humorless dickheads hired for their anal retentive traits.  The system works because, even though you get the first type a lot of the time, there is an outside chance you get the latter once in a while, too.

Brymus

Quote from: mac on August 12, 2010, 02:18:44 PM
In 2008 I bought a Valve Jr in Palma de Mallorca just before taking a plane to Buenos Aires.
Since it is less than 10kg I had no trouble boarding the plane with it (But you can carry delicate stuff like surf boards above 10kg into the cabin if you want).
Instead of being suspicious, the officer at the x-ray scanning machine asked me how loud it was, what kind of tubes it has and how much did I pay for it!!! I bet he bought one.
In 2009 I bought a couple of Boss pedals and took them with me, no questions at all.
I'm in Palma now and I´m wondering what to buy this year  :icon_question:

mac
Another Valve Jr !!
IMO you cant have too many of those, they are like an amp kit for a multitude of builds,that comes already working.
The cab,chassis, and PT are worth the price alone IMO
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

mac

Brymus,
You are right. I love this amp. But I want to try those new Laney and Marshall low wattage amps.

As a latin american guy I had more problems at the migration check point than at the scanning place...

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

guitarbobby

bomb in a stompbox? its the new tommygun in a violin case