Enclosure etching issues... need some help. slade?

Started by studiostud, August 10, 2010, 12:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studiostud

Hey everyone,

I'm trying out the etching process following slade's multi-color etching tutorial (even though I'm just doing one color).  I've done every step up to ironing with results that look just like the photos.  But once I get to ironing is where the problems come in.  The paper I'm using is Hammermill glossy laser photo paper and is 180g/m.  I iron it like the tutorial suggests for about 9-10 min on medium setting on my iron and then full heat for another 3-4 minutes.  After I let the enclosure cool and check it, the paper has completely fixed itself to the enclosure.  I know in slade's tutorial you can see some of the paper residue on the toner mask which I believe slade said in another thread that this is important, but with mine, the entire piece of paper is fixed to the point where I can't peel any of it off without stripping it off in pieces like an old and well stuck on sticker.  Also, after I do manage to peel off the paper backing, there is still a lot of the toner on the paper!  >:(  and also, when it cools, large air bubbles form above the areas where there are larger sections of toner mask.    Is there something I'm doing wrong in the ironing? Am I not ironing long enough?  hot enough?  too hot?  Any advice would be helpful.  Maybe this paper just isn't working.  I have a big 250-sheet ream of it that I bought awhile back for another purpose that didn't work out and I was hoping that this would be the answer to using it, so it would be a shame if I had to try something else.   :icon_cry:
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

Slade

Hi, here's what I think and what I'd do.

Quote from: studiostud on August 10, 2010, 12:17:21 PM
After I let the enclosure cool and check it, the paper has completely fixed itself to the enclosure.

It's completely normal.

I know in slade's tutorial you can see some of the paper residue on the toner mask which I believe slade said in another thread that this is important, but with mine, the entire piece of paper is fixed to the point where I can't peel any of it off without stripping it off in pieces like an old and well stuck on sticker.

It's important but not vital for the etching to work.
There are two factors here: Toner density and paper quality. One of those is not good enough.
If you have good toner density it's not really important if the paper does not stay stuck over the toner, and if your paper is good it will stay stuck over the toner even if the toner has not enough density. I use a cheap Canon LBP3000 with maximum toner density for both normal and reverse etch.

Also, after I do manage to peel off the paper backing, there is still a lot of the toner on the paper!  >:(  and also, when it cools, large air bubbles form above the areas where there are larger sections of toner mask.

Bubbles are normal, more if you are trying a reverse etching.

Is there something I'm doing wrong in the ironing? Am I not ironing long enough?  hot enough?  too hot?  Any advice would be helpful.

0-4 minutes = min to half power
4 - 12 minutes= maximum power (mine is 1200W)

Maybe this paper just isn't working.  I have a big 250-sheet ream of it that I bought awhile back for another purpose that didn't work out and I was hoping that this would be the answer to using it, so it would be a shame if I had to try something else.   :icon_cry:

Sad, but I think that could be the problem. Check the toner density or try another paper (buy just one sheet and try! :P )

Regards,
Fernando.-

studiostud

I think you're right about the toner quality.  If I remember correctly, I seem to recall that the laser printer I used was getting low on the black toner so chances are pretty good that it just didn't print enough toner on to the photo paper.  I'll take it to a copy store and try it again.  Thanks for the quick response!
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

Slade

Quote from: studiostud on August 10, 2010, 01:33:07 PMThanks for the quick response!
Sure, you called me specially! ;D
I prefer this instead of PM to keep information visible to everybody.

studiostud

I agree!  one more question.  Once the ironing is complete, what should I do with the fixed paper?  Should I try and peel off what I can?  Maybe wet sand with 600 grit?

Slade

Quote from: studiostud on August 10, 2010, 05:35:29 PM
I agree!  one more question.  Once the ironing is complete, what should I do with the fixed paper?  Should I try and peel off what I can?  Maybe wet sand with 600 grit?
If you're not sure about the toner density, after the ironing wait until the enclosure is cold (if you have large blank zones on the design keep the iron on the enclosure until it gets cold to avoid bubbles taking toner off the enclosure) and then put the enclosure under water and peel off the paper with your fingers, like scraping it  (don't know how to say that in english). That would be the best way to do it.

John Lyons

If I remember correctly, I seem to recall that the laser printer I used was getting low on the black toner

Just a shot but are you using a color laser printer?
I have found them not to work well.
Monochrome office type copiers and laser printers are best.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/