GGG Big Muff Pi - No signal coming through

Started by skrapasor, August 19, 2010, 07:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skrapasor

I just finished building a GGG BMP, and I can hear noise coming through to my amp that I can control with the volume, tone, and sustain knobs on the BMP, but my guitar signal does not go through. It does go through when the pedal is off though. I don't really understand how this happens, where is the signal going? I know there are probably a lot of explanations but even when I just to use alligator leads to jump the switch as if it's in bypass mode, it doesn't work. I guess I don't understand something about the signal goes through.

anchovie

The knobs having an effect on the background noise is promising. I'd guess that the signal is being dumped to ground somewhere before the first transistor, hence when you jumper across the switch you still get nothing.

Check on the board for solder bridges causing shorts, and that all of your offboard wiring is going to the right places.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

skrapasor

Yes that was the problem. A resistor lead was touching a transistor lead I just had to twist it away. It's fairly noisy though, is that just how the pedal is? I'm okay with it I was just wondering if I did something poorly. I started this around Christmas and then stopped for 8 months... so when I went to build it I just wanted to get it done and there were some tricky parts.

By the way, what a fantastic 1000th post! Haha

Oh and also, it sounds awesome!