How do you mount switches, jacks, pots, and LEDs?

Started by skrapasor, August 19, 2010, 12:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skrapasor

For switches, jacks, and pots, I just don't know which side the washer(s) goes on. And for I think just switches, maybe other things, why are there two nuts? I mean I sort of get it, you can then position it in different ways, but what way is the best? And the thing that has bothered me the most, in my GGG BMP I can't get the LED and the LED snap thing to fit through the hole at the same time! Am I doing it wrong? I just stuffed the LED inside the enclosure since I couldn't do it.

m-theory

You need to drill the hole for the LED bezel a tad larger, in order to get the LED into the bezel, while it's in it's hole.  I don't know the drill size offhand, because I use a step bit, but if you go slightly larger than you are now, it'll work. I use a bit of crazy glue to hold the bezel in place once I've got the LED mounted.  You won't get the locking ring of the bezel to work if you're mounting it in a cast aluminum box, because the bezel doesn't extend far enough to allow the locking ring to work. 

Jacks and pots mount with the flat washer outside.

Switches have two nuts, because you may want to have it situated higher or lower.  One nut stays underneath, and can be adjusted to situate the switch at the desired height.  The other nut goes on from the outside.  Use the locking washer underneath and the flat washer on top. 

skrapasor

Steve Mavronis

Quote from: m-theory on August 19, 2010, 01:53:18 PM
Jacks and pots mount with the flat washer outside.

I've also been adding a 3/8" stainless steel inner tooth lock washer between the input/output jacks and the inner enclosure walls too. Not so much to hold it in place but for grounding bare metal to bare metal as good as possible since I use both jack's sleeve lug for circuit ground.

My issue is getting the stompbox parts people to start carrying them. I have to go to a hardware store and they cost around 50-60 cents each. I'm sure online would be cheaper.
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

boogietube

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

stringsthings

Quote from: Steve Mavronis on August 19, 2010, 05:19:52 PM

I've also been adding a 3/8" stainless steel inner tooth lock washer between the input/output jacks and the inner enclosure walls too.

+1

excellent idea ... especially for input/output jacks as these get the most wear and tear ... ( even more so for DIY folks such as we )

Ronsonic

Quote from: skrapasor on August 19, 2010, 12:27:07 PM
For switches, jacks, and pots, I just don't know which side the washer(s) goes on. And for I think just switches, maybe other things, why are there two nuts? I mean I sort of get it, you can then position it in different ways, but what way is the best? And the thing that has bothered me the most, in my GGG BMP I can't get the LED and the LED snap thing to fit through the hole at the same time! Am I doing it wrong? I just stuffed the LED inside the enclosure since I couldn't do it.

Led bezel (the plastic thing) goes in the hole. If there's a ring that fits it, that goes around the legs of the LED. LED goes into the bezel then the ring goes onto the bezel to hold it.

Use the nuts to put the switch, jack or whatnot at the most convenient or attractive height. Metal lock washers go on the inside of the box smooth beauty washers (that's what they're called) go on the outside.
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info