Tonepad CE-2 strange issue

Started by oomnelson, August 20, 2010, 12:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oomnelson

I open this post because I can´t find my problem in the other CE-2 related posts.

The issue is that my tonepad ce-2 clon works, and I´m very grateful for it, I caliber the trimpot and everything is ok, but, I´m using it with a 9v power supply, and when I turn up the amp volume a hum is amplified, the effect works perfect, but with a hum behind it.

Now, I tried it with a 9v battery, and contrary to all my expectations, not only didn´t work with the battery, but it does a high frequency oscilating noise...

I don´t know what to think, I used a TL072, and, in replace of the 2N5088 I used BC547.

I hope someone can help me with an idea...

Thanks !

flintstoned

Sounds like your jacks aren't grounded properly, can you post pics?
I forgot what I was gonna say here.

oomnelson

Thank you for your comment!.
I´m using the same provisory enclosure that I used in my others projects, and I didn´t have troubles before. But, perhaps this effect is more sensitive, so I´ll check the wired, or re wired all again.

But, how could it happen?, that with a battery it don´t work, and with a power supply it does.

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

oomnelson

Some photos, as I wrote before, this is a provisory enclosure which I used before in other projects, I just join the IN/OUT jacks and the 9v/GROUND wires at the CE-2.

Govmnt_Lacky

Can we get a closer picture of the board? Also, a picture of the input/output/DC jack would be good too!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

oomnelson

New photos, a closer look at the board, input/output (yellow/black wires), DC Jack (red/black wires).
If another view is needed, just ask me. Thank you for your time, I really appreciate the effort.

flintstoned

Alright we got pics, now lets get this puppy straightened out! Nice board btw! Do you always use those metal DC jacks? I assume red is + and black is - meaning you're using a positive center adaptor? You need a DC Jack that has three prongs, the extra is for the + on the battery that disconnects battery when an adaptor is plugged in so your battery wont drain. So ditch the battery for this project! Or the dc jack. Try putting a large electrolytic cap on the DC jack and see if that kills the hum. Like 33uf to 100uf.
I forgot what I was gonna say here.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: flintstoned on August 22, 2010, 11:12:33 AM
Alright we got pics, now lets get this puppy straightened out! Nice board btw! Do you always use those metal DC jacks? I assume red is + and black is - meaning you're using a positive center adaptor? You need a DC Jack that has three prongs, the extra is for the + on the battery that disconnects battery when an adaptor is plugged in so your battery wont drain. So ditch the battery for this project! Or the dc jack. Try putting a large electrolytic cap on the DC jack and see if that kills the hum. Like 33uf to 100uf.

+1. That DC jack does not look friendly. You should go with the switchable one. Also, recheck your grounds. Make sure they are secure and you do not have any ground loops.

Govmnt_Lacky

BTW. What kind of timer are you using for the MN3007? I don't recognize the manufacturer. Is it an MN3101?

oomnelson

Thank you for the answers!,
I only use this metal dc jack in this enclosure, which I use only to test my projects, and I´m using a positive center adaptor.
I will try the electrolitic cap on the DC jack. But in the other projects I did, I didn´t have this "hum".

Now, when I test the effect with a 9v battery, I disconect the DC Jack wires and the power supply from the enclosure and from the board, so, it´s just the battery only. And as I said, when I try this, the effect don´t work, and a high frequency noise is heard.

The timer I use is a Siemmens MN3101.

Scruffie

Besides that it's a Metal DC Jack which usually leads to issues on peoples builds, go with plastic to avoid hassle.

QuoteTry putting a large electrolytic cap on the DC jack and see if that kills the hum. Like 33uf to 100uf.
There's already power filtering on board if you check the Tonepad Schematic.

What's the voltage of the battery? Have you checked it's got a good 9V?

oomnelson

It´s Working perfectly!!!... First of all, I want to say THANKS YOU ALL for the big help.

The problem was, as you said, the DC jack.
And when I disconnected the DC Jack to replace it with a 9v battery, I made the mistake to not connect the negative to ground, so, ground was separately, and that was the issue for the "high frequency noise" I was talking about before.
I know, a begginer mistake.
Now everything is right in place, I´m happy, and the metal Jack DC is out.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: oomnelson on August 22, 2010, 03:34:02 PM
It´s Working perfectly!!!...  and the metal Jack DC is out.

Glad to see you got it working. In the future, you should get the insulated DC jack with the switch so you can use your wall wart and battery. These are built for negative center but that should not be a problem.