Ross Phaser - AH5014CN chip question/comments

Started by kurge71, September 02, 2010, 02:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurge71

I just purchased an old orange Ross Phaser and was curious if anyone could help me pinpoint the year it was made or some background on this particular build? It has the AH5014CN chip inside (serial #11486 and P/N 405-0007-22). I've not been able to find any background online about the Ross pedal with this chip. I own two other orange Ross Phasers (1978 with the 4x P1087E JFETs solder to 14-pin DIP plug) and 1980 (AM97C11CN chip).

The reason I am so curious is that I tested all the pedals side by side and by far the 1978 and 1979 are much better sounding. The phase effect is more pronounced, has more overall warmth and the rate/recycle (intensity) knobs provide a greater range. The AH5014CN version has a "tinny" sound and does not provide the fast "ripple" effect. I suspect it was made in 1978 because of the low serial number and the knobs are labeled "Rate" and "Intensity" versus the 1980 "Rate" and "Recycle".

I'm going to resell this pedal and want to make sure I'm providing accurate info and an honest opinion to whomever buys it. PS - my technical knowledge of pedals is very limited - I am not a builder. But a heavy user of all kinds of guitar pedals. Any info would be great. Also, If there is a different place I should be placing these types of questions please let me know.

Taylor

Quote from: kurge71 on September 02, 2010, 02:59:36 PMAlso, If there is a different place I should be placing these types of questions please let me know.

This particular forum is called "Digital and DSP", so it's for digital electronics questions. For this kind of question which isn't about digital, you'd get more responses in the main forum:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=2.0