the SBRODJ Fuzz - an improved FY-2

Started by tubelectron, August 22, 2010, 05:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubelectron

Hello DIYers,

As I was asked a few days ago by LucifersTrip on his topic Need help identifying unknown transistor to give more information about my SBRODJ Fuzz, I thought it would be of some interest to you, other DIYer's.

The SBRODJ Fuzz is a modified (or improved) version of the Si SHIN-EI FY-2 Companion Fuzz (an older Ge version exists, quite different). The main modification is the addition of an output stage, as this pedal lacked output level to match the uneffected level, when I breadboarded it (It seems that it is a well known problem with this pedal, as I read it...). The second modification was to use lower Hfe transistor 2N3137 (Hfe=50 for Ib=10µA) instead of the original 2SC536 (Hfe typ=120 on datasheets) that I hadn't, and tried to quickly substitute with equivalent or higher Hfe transistors, but with inferior results.

The SBRODJ Fuzz is very quiet (no noise in any setting) and sounds "scooped" like a SuperFuzz thanks to its tee filter, but without the octave effect and less gain, in a "destroy/psychadelic" feeling, as I wrote it to LucifersTrip, who answered me that "the sound is surely like the housing", which I agree... Imagine the Rolling Stone's "Satisfaction" fuzz sound, but scooped, to have an idea.

Here is the schematic :

The extra output stage is in the green dotted lines. m stands for minimum, M stands for Maximum.

And some pictures of the casing :

The box is 8mm thick zamak die-cast coming from a dead half C-114 WWII Signal Corps telephone line coupling box (very tough/sticky material to drill and machine), and closed by a screwed 3mm aluminum plate.

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

DC9V

Looks like someone's a Tintin fan  :icon_wink:

Are you going to paint it? If so, a red and white checkered pattern seems appropriate.
Looks cool, and knowing the FY-2 it must sound equally cool. :icon_cool:

tubelectron

Hi,

@DC9V :

QuoteAre you going to paint it? If so, a red and white checkered pattern seems appropriate.
Looks cool, and knowing the FY-2 it must sound equally cool. 

Yes, exactly : the name comes from Sbrodj, as you pictured it. I should paint it like the famous rocket (very good idea) but every attempt to make a decent and really abuse-resistant paint that I tried in the past always went a disaster and a waste of time and money... So it will stay with it's "all original WWII vintage finish" !

@Gus :

Quotelook at the link
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_secf_sc_bst.pdf

I didn't knew the existence of that modified version : thanks for the link. The good point is that I come to the same end as JD Sleep : the output level needs to be increased, and the fuzz section transistors are preferably low Hfe. I felt it was better to place the volume at the end, for noise purposes, but it probably have no major influence.

A+!

wjmwpg

Quote from: tubelectron on August 22, 2010, 05:10:55 AM
Hello DIYers,

As I was asked a few days ago by LucifersTrip on his topic Need help identifying unknown transistor to give more information about my SBRODJ Fuzz, I thought it would be of some interest to you, other DIYer's.

The SBRODJ Fuzz is a modified (or improved) version of the Si SHIN-EI FY-2 Companion Fuzz (an older Ge version exists, quite different). The main modification is the addition of an output stage, as this pedal lacked output level to match the uneffected level, when I breadboarded it (It seems that it is a well known problem with this pedal, as I read it...). The second modification was to use lower Hfe transistor 2N3137 (Hfe=50 for Ib=10µA) instead of the original 2SC536 (Hfe typ=120 on datasheets) that I hadn't, and tried to quickly substitute with equivalent or higher Hfe transistors, but with inferior results.

The SBRODJ Fuzz is very quiet (no noise in any setting) and sounds "scooped" like a SuperFuzz thanks to its tee filter, but without the octave effect and less gain, in a "destroy/psychadelic" feeling, as I wrote it to LucifersTrip, who answered me that "the sound is surely like the housing", which I agree... Imagine the Rolling Stone's "Satisfaction" fuzz sound, but scooped, to have an idea.

Here is the schematic :

The extra output stage is in the green dotted lines. m stands for minimum, M stands for Maximum.

And some pictures of the casing :

The box is 8mm thick zamak die-cast coming from a dead half C-114 WWII Signal Corps telephone line coupling box (very tough/sticky material to drill and machine), and closed by a screwed 3mm aluminum plate.

A+!
I realize that a decade has passed, but would it be possible to re-post the schematic?

And it's my first post so hi y'all.  :icon_biggrin:

Cheers,
James

bluebunny

Welcome, James.

Looks like that hosting site went offline a while back.  Perhaps if Bruno comes across this thread, he might re-post?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Rob Strand

It's possible this is his website,  [of course it is, it's in his signature  :icon_redface:]
https://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/fx-pedals/

There are schematics but not for the SBRODJ Fuzz.

There is a contact link on the website.   He hasn't logged into the forum for a long time.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

iainpunk

Quote from: Rob Strand on January 12, 2021, 05:09:00 AM
It's possible this is his website,  [of course it is, it's in his signature  :icon_redface:]
https://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/fx-pedals/

those pedals look cool, but my french is non-existent.

also, there is no way to improve upon the FY-2
the tone is perfect
the max volume is perfect
everything changed is taking away form its perfection,
just like gun companies trying to improve the Colt 1911, and failing because they try to improve upon perfection.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

tubelectron

Members @bluebunny and @Rob Strand are right : I did not posted on the forum because I did no built any stompbox for a long while - my apologies  :icon_redface: - but I still browse time to time at the pictures threads to have a look to the new releases and their amazing finishes...  8) 8) 8)

Thanks to the message posted on my little website by newcoming member @wjmwpg (in French !  :icon_surprised:), here are the missing schematic and pics :

A+!

Rob Strand

QuoteMembers @bluebunny and @Rob Strand are right : I did not posted on the forum because I did no built any stompbox for a long while - my apologies  :icon_redface: - but I still browse time to time at the pictures threads to have a look to the new releases and their amazing finishes...  8) 8) 8)

Thanks to the message posted on my little website by newcoming member @wjmwpg (in French !  :icon_surprised:), here are the missing schematic and pics :
Thanks for re-posting.

So the  changes are the low-gain transistors and the extra stage at the output.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

tubelectron

Quote from: Rob Strand on January 14, 2021, 05:13:25 AM
QuoteMembers @bluebunny and @Rob Strand are right : I did not posted on the forum because I did no built any stompbox for a long while - my apologies  :icon_redface: - but I still browse time to time at the pictures threads to have a look to the new releases and their amazing finishes...  8) 8) 8)

Thanks for re-posting.

So the  changes are the low-gain transistors and the extra stage at the output.

That's it, exactly.

A+!