Summer sales at Paia: SIAB who build it?

Started by radio, August 22, 2010, 09:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radio

Hi Community

Some time I haven't been here,but now I m ready to build some stuff again.

The SIAB is not really a stompbox but I thought I better ask,

as I live in Luxembourg/Europe and therefor will have high shipping costs

plus custom taxes. But even then, the project is highly tempting as it was

devellopped by great minds!

Hope somebody has some opinion,

Regards Jean-Marie
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

radio

So as no one answers the question ,I assume it s rather an obsolete design ;)

Sometimes no info is also an info ;D

Regards Jean-Marie
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Ry

I built one for a friend.  I honestly did not like the sound of it at all, but that's just one opinion.

alotawatts

I have had good luck with PAIA. My personal ratings
Headphone distribution amp   9
Four band EQ                        9
TubeHead                             9
StackinaBox                           5
Google provides (StackinaBox) info on a few mods as well e.g. pot value changes.
Mine is .....well..........very dusty !
To my ears some nice tones..........but it's alot of work for what you get.

Mark Hammer

The SIAB was special for its time, but since then there have been many other comparable and competitive designs and products.  What did you want it for most? the cab simulation, the tube preamp?

Also, keep in mind that the SIAB is open to useful mods and improvements just as much as any other commercial product.  In the case of the SIAB, the FX loop provides a perfect spot to insert a tonestack.

stringsthings

Quote from: radio on August 22, 2010, 09:48:33 AM
Hi Community

Some time I haven't been here,but now I m ready to build some stuff again.

The SIAB is not really a stompbox but I thought I better ask,

as I live in Luxembourg/Europe and therefor will have high shipping costs

plus custom taxes. But even then, the project is highly tempting as it was

devellopped by great minds!

Hope somebody has some opinion,

Regards Jean-Marie

Hello Jean-Marie and a shoutout to my European brothers.  I love my SIAB.  If only for the panel and all the knobs! :icon_mrgreen: ... I modded mine for more gain.  It's not a real easy build ... lots of offboard wiring ... but that glowing tube makes it all worthwhile!  :icon_biggrin:

Quote from: Ry on August 22, 2010, 05:49:44 PM
I built one for a friend.  I honestly did not like the sound of it at all, but that's just one opinion.

i built one for me.  I honestly like the sound of it, but that's just one opinion.

Quote from: alotawatts on August 23, 2010, 10:34:59 PM
I have had good luck with PAIA. My personal ratings
Headphone distribution amp   9
Four band EQ                        9
TubeHead                             9
StackinaBox                           5
Google provides (StackinaBox) info on a few mods as well e.g. pot value changes.
Mine is .....well..........very dusty !
To my ears some nice tones..........but it's alot of work for what you get.

I have also had good luck with PAIA.  My personal ratings are irrelevant as I do not receive compensation for arbitrary ratings.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 24, 2010, 03:34:04 PM
The SIAB was special for its time, but since then there have been many other comparable and competitive designs and products.  What did you want it for most? the cab simulation, the tube preamp?

Also, keep in mind that the SIAB is open to useful mods and improvements just as much as any other commercial product.  In the case of the SIAB, the FX loop provides a perfect spot to insert a tonestack.

I completely agree.  It was of its time.  For me, it was a good introduction to tube preamps.  TBH, when I first turned it on, I was not overjoyed.   :-\ I think it was because I expected a raging, over-the-top Marshall stack sound ... that, and the fact that I wasn't comfortable in modding projects  ??? or rolling my own.  These days, I'm more willing to "take the DIY plunge".  In no small part due to the encouragement and wealth of accurate information from the knowledgeable such as yourself, Mr. Hammer.  [ SWTC anyone? ]

Mark Hammer

radio

:icon_mrgreen: Pas tout à fait!

I have to confesse I don't know if my debugging skills are good enough for a first hybrid technology build.

On the other side ,at this moment a (more expensif) blackstar ht20 studio head is my favorit.

As for diy ,a german all-tube amplifier kit could compete with the blackstar ,but has lethal voltages.

;D  2 Solutions: start with valvecaster etcerea and build in a year the A2,or just save for a half-year

to buy the blackstart . Sorry PAIA!

Regards Jean-Marie
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!