Anyone know a good source for 1uf box film caps?

Started by Taylor, August 22, 2010, 09:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

I buy them from Mouser, but they are very often out of stock of all the reasonably-priced ones, so often all they have in stock are 60 cent caps. Since I need to buy a lot of them, that's just too much for me to pay for caps. I'm not a mojo fiend.

Digikey has them for cheap but a 1500 minimum quantity.

On ebay they're usually 300 volt WIMAs, etc. therefore ridiculously expensive.

There has to be a better way!

Any suggestions?

.Mike

Hey Taylor,

Check these out at Newark. The picture in the datasheet looks like box caps: 21C0480 - $0.271/ea, 100@ $0.26.

Also look up the R82DC4100DQ60J by Kemet. Newark uses to carry them, but appear to be out. Allied has them for a pretty good price: Link

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

Taylor

Thanks Mike, that's a great deal. Mouser won't be restocked on the EPCOS until summer of 2011! So Newark it is.

jkokura

In bulk, you can get 1uF's from Smallbear at 14 bucks for 100. That's a really good deal I think.

Jacob

Taylor

Hmm, can you link to what you're talking about Jacob? The ones I see are 30 cents each, and they don't become any cheaper at 100 qty.

12Bass

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

panterafanatic

-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

liquids

Breadboard it!

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: panterafanatic on August 23, 2010, 08:34:03 AM
I think he was talking about these:
Http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=897

Those Topmay ones are good.  I dont have golden ears, but they sounded fine to me.
Try a little tenderness.

Beo

Quote from: .Mike on August 22, 2010, 09:23:06 PM
Hey Taylor,

Check these out at Newark. The picture in the datasheet looks like box caps: 21C0480 - $0.271/ea, 100@ $0.26.

Also look up the R82DC4100DQ60J by Kemet. Newark uses to carry them, but appear to be out. Allied has them for a pretty good price: Link

Mike

You have to be so careful with these online catalogs. The Kemet ones at Allied are for 6mm sized caps (the 6 in 60J is for 6mm). The Epcos ones at Newark are 10% (hence the K in 105K), so right size, not as good tolerance.

I've been happy with the Topmay's from smallbear, but I haven't tried the 1uf Topmay's yet. My problem with the Topmay's is that they're so boring looking (dark grey, hard to read black letters).

Travis

Scruffie

If you don't mind having them shipped from abroad (cheaply I will add) then 5mm spaced caps http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/polyfilm.html £0.18 each in larger quantities (about 27 cents)

Slightly cheaper than $0.60, futurlec does the WIMAs http://www.futurlec.com/CapPolyFilm.shtml

Beo

I've never used a capacitor meter. Can a capacitor meter be used to test out a batch of 10% or 20% tolerance caps and filter out the best ones? In doing so, is this possibly a good means of getting higher quality caps at a discount? Or are there other performance issues with a lower marked tolerance cap, particularly under load?

Often you can get several 10% tolerance caps for the price of one 5% tolerance cap.

Ronsonic

Quote from: Beo on September 04, 2010, 03:47:07 AM
I've never used a capacitor meter. Can a capacitor meter be used to test out a batch of 10% or 20% tolerance caps and filter out the best ones? In doing so, is this possibly a good means of getting higher quality caps at a discount? Or are there other performance issues with a lower marked tolerance cap, particularly under load?

Often you can get several 10% tolerance caps for the price of one 5% tolerance cap.

Which one is best? The most capacitance, the most accurate?

Unless you are building a fairly precise filter, the cap value should be chosen so that the exact value is not that critical. In general if you value your labor it is better to get the manufacturer to supply the more accurate value if that's necessary.

http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info