Simple Offboard Wiring Question

Started by Kearns892, August 25, 2010, 03:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kearns892

This should hopefully be a quick question. I would just test it out myself, but my soldering iron is acting up.

Most wiring diagrams use a TRS input jack to prevent battery drain. Putting a mono plug into the jack connects Ring and Sleeve typically creating a ground connection for the circuit. Most diagrams call for the battery - / negative side of DC jack to be connected to Ring, and board ground to be connected to Sleeve. Absentmindedly I switched them; however to my understanding the final effect should be the same: board would only get ground when a mono plug is in the input jack. So I have DC jack negative to Sleeve and board ground to Ring. If it makes a difference, the Sleeves of both jacks are connected via chassis (checked for continuity there). Am I missing something? Should this cause any issues?

Again, I would simply desolder and switch them to see, but the tip on my iron is pretty much unusable; it doesn't transfer enough heat to the relatively large jack connectors to get the solder to melt...
Also, I tested this circuit and it worked before I boxed it, and I checked for continuity all the way through for the ground connection.

If I need to draw up a complete diagram of what I did exactly, I can.

Thanks

stringsthings

Quote from: Kearns892 on August 25, 2010, 03:13:06 PM
Most wiring diagrams use a TRS input jack to prevent battery drain.

Battery drain and TRS input jacks are mutually exclusive ...

This should hopefully be a quick question. I would just test it out myself, but my soldering iron is acting up.

This should hopefully be a quick answer.  Fix your soldering iron or purchase a replacement.  No soldering iron = zero DIY fun.

BTW, read your post and you will discover that you answered your own question.

Thanks

You're welcome  :icon_mrgreen:

Kearns892

Quote from: stringsthings on August 25, 2010, 04:58:35 PM
Most wiring diagrams use a TRS input jack to prevent battery drain.

Battery drain and TRS input jacks are mutually exclusive ...

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I thought most people here used a TRS input jack wired so that it would disconnect the battery when nothing was plugged into the input jack. You can find all sorts of info about it if you check the DIY FAQ link at the top of the page or Search.
Quote from: stringsthings on August 25, 2010, 04:58:35 PM

This should hopefully be a quick answer.  Fix your soldering iron or purchase a replacement.  No soldering iron = zero DIY fun.

I realize this, I would order new tips, but I move to Virginia Saturday and I don't have a PO box set up there yet. I was hoping I could work this out with my corroded tip before then.